View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 09:32 AM   #4
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Bellinger finally signs what's basically a 1 year deal with the Cubs (3 years, opt outs in both the first two years).

And I take great amusement that none of the other 3 Boras clients signed yet. Fuck Boras.

I'm with you on Boras. As a Cubs fan I think the Belli deal is very fair for a player with his history. He gets well paid in a controlled way that allows him to prove his worth. With all of the young talent they have coming along, like an NFL team paying a QB on a rookie contract, I think they can afford to take the risk with the 30 mil per the first 2 years. If he's great and ops out they can still sign him again. At the same time if their youngsters develop they could say "thanks" and let him leave.

His BABIP was the highest of his career suggesting he had some good luck. However he did "fix" his swing allowing him to get to pitches he wasn't getting to the last three seasons. So, was it the fix, luck, or both that drove last season?

Based on last season I didn't want the Cubs to commit to some 7-10 year deal in that 200 to 300 mil range. From the contract he got it seems the Cubs, and the league in general, is getting a bit smarter, and that sucks for Boras.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote