View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 AM   #27
Rawhide
High School Varsity

1981 Pre-Season

Huskies tackle Tunch Ilkin retires after experiencing an extremely serious head injury during his rookie season.

KC Beckam is sacked. He went 24-58 during five years as head coach of the Monarchs.

Our new head coach is former Washington Redskins coach Junior Nutter.

He has a 43-40 record in the last five years, taking the Redskins to the 1979 NFC Championship game, before suffering a 3-13 collapse last year. Importantly, he is highly ranked in the area of quarterbacks, which will help Montana immensely.

We make a new start at offensive coordinator, sacking Jamal Martin after four unsuccessful seasons. Rod Gonzalez is our new man. Martin lands on his feet with the Chiefs.

Dave Lewis receives the franchise tag, worth $4m for this year.

We pick fifth overall in the draft, and there are at least six running back prospects worth investigating. Looks like that's where our draft pick is going this year.

In free agency, we make an early splash, getting Mean Joe Green and Theo Bell from the world champion Steelers. Ted Petersen from the Browns bolsters our offensive line, while we also get Franco Harris from Pittsburgh to help our running game.

Harris has not started for the Steelers since 1978, and currently has severe anxiety. It is a risk signing him to our roster, but he may be able to act as a mentor for whoever we draft at fifth overall.

Alright, off to the draft.

1.01 - Mexico City Aztecs - QB Neil Lomax (18/58)
1.02 - Barcelona Dragons - RB Joe Delaney (55/63)

What are the Dragons planning to do, split the ball three ways?

1.03 - Washington Redskins - RB James Brooks (55/67)
1.04 - New Orleans Saints - RT Joe Jacoby (38/71)

We grab the best rated RB on the board (in our opinions)

1.05 - London Monarchs - RB Freeman McNeil (41/47)
1.06 - Detroit Lions - RB James Wilder (43/63)

Ouch

1.07 - New England Patriots - RB George Rogers (47/62)

Double ouch

1.08 - New York Giants - LCB Eric Wright (50/68)
1.09 - Houston Oilers - LDE Howie Long (35/54)
1.10 - Toronto Huskies - RB Stump Mitchell (52/54)

Triple ouch.

Looks like I might have struck out on the running back bonanza.

2.05 - RDE Greg Brown (25/41)
3.05 - LCB Willie Teal (24/33)
4.05 - WLB John Woodring (17/28)
5.05 - FS Todd Bell (17/38)
6.05 - FL Mark McGrath (12/27)
7.05 - RCB Steve Trimble (14/26)

For some reason, we are rated highly in the power rankings heading into the 1981 season.

Is this our breakout season coming up?
The clouds methought would open and show riches ready to drop upon me, that, when I wak'd, I cried to dream again.
Rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote