View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #117
Radii
Head Coach

November 20, 2009

Jacksonville State (0-3) vs NC A&T (1-1)

We're rated the same. They have a PG with 94 speed and a good close range shot, a very dangerous guy. SG JJ Wesley is a good 3 point shooter averaging 15 ppg. They have good speed at their first 4 positions and we're going to worry about them on the break. We have a size edge that we'll be trying to use against them.

This is the first round of the 4-team “Deep Dish Challenge” at Depaul's Allstate Arena. The other two teams are Hofstra and Longwood.

Half
Time
NC A&T
JAC
Notes
13:15
After getting out to a 12-2 lead they settle down and start to score a little bit. We're definitely taking advantage of our size. Hayes has 8 points already. Backups are in.
6:45
5 from Cruz, 4 from Shepherd as our backups hold their own. Starters come back in for the rest of the half.
6:00
Shiloh and Ewing each hit a 3 pointer and we push our lead out over double digits.

HALF
We just kept pouring it on the rest of the half. Alston is 5-5. Hayes is 7-7. We're shooting 70% from the floor. Hayes has 14, Alston 10, Ewing 9, and this is just a rout.
12:00
We had the lead up to 25, but they've gone on a run and cut it down to 16. Some dumb turnovers, as usual, are to blame for my opponent's run. Hayes has 18 now and is having a great game. Backups are in.
8:45
A 3 point play for Jacksonville state and they've cut the lead under 10. Our level of play has fallen quite a bit in the 2nd half here, allowing lots of easy shots and we're really not taking very good shots the past few minutes. My backups are slowing the game down now, just buying time to rest up the starters, and not trying to push the lead out too hard.
6:10
We got the lead back up to 12 on a Shepherd 3 point play, then they hit two three's in a row to cut the lead down to 6. I burn a timeout and get my starters back in for the stretch run.
4:45
BIG momentum shift. Coleman just took over the game pretty much. He goes 1-2 from the line, then gets a layup on our next play after they miss. On Jacksonville State's next possession, their super fast PG gets by his man and drives for a reverse layup. Coleman leaps and comes from the other side of the goal to block the shot. We pick it up, start a fast break and Coleman cuts down the middle, receives a pass and throws it down with 2 hands. 5-0 run since the starters came back in to give us control of the game again.

After we get back up by 11, we never let them cut the lead below 9 again and pretty much coast to victory.

NC A&T 80
Jacksonville State 71

Rebounding is again today a massive edge for us, 36-20. They went 8-16 from 3 which helped them close the gap after we'd gone up by so much in the first half.

Alston: 16 points/7 assists
Ewing: 11 points
Shiloh: 5 points
Coleman: 15 points/11 boards
Hayes: 18 points/9 boards

Shepherd: 9 points/5 boards
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote