View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #148
sabotai
General Manager

Thoughts on Tactics - What I need to make my fast break tactic work in Bundesliga

One thing I noticed while watching my Gegenpressing tactic in the friendly matches and the Cup game. It's boring. I loved watching my fast break, counter-attack tactic. It's just not going to work in Bundesliga, though. When I was in 2.Bundesliga, my team was ranked first in Pace, and I'd imagine (though never checked) that I was high on acceleration and agility. My team, overall, was faster than most.

In Bundesliga, my Team Summery page lists Work Rate as my best attribute, ranked 9th in the league. Worst: Height (dead last)

I don't need overall speed, though. What I really need is speed at the striker and inside forward positions. Marco is pretty much there (Pace: 17, Accel: 17, Agi: 13), Dimitrijevic (Pace: 14, Accel: 17, Agi: 15), Wood (Pace: 16, Accel: 16, Agi: 14)...Stoppelkamp isn't very fast, but I don't just need speed.

Two things I saw that caused too many of my fast break chances to fail were 1) Not getting a good start (First Touch) and 2) Slowing down too much on the dribble, or just plain mishitting the ball while dribbling.

Marco (FT: 16, Dribble: 13), Dimitrijevic (FT: 13, Dribble: 15), Wood (FT: 11, Dribble: 12), Stoppelkamp (FT: 12, Dribble: 14)....for this tactic to work in Bundesliga, I'd think I would need a few players that were not only lightning fast, but also 16+ on both FT and Dribble.

Outside of the striker and two wingers, I need my playmakers to have great passing. Thankfully, Bouy and Stark do. Bouy (Pass: 16, Tech: 17) (Bouy is also 16 for Long Shots, which is an added bonus), Stark (Pass: 16, Tech: 14).

My Fullbacks need crossing ability as well as passing. With my Inside Forwards sitting inside and my Fullbacks on Support, I saw them attempting a lot of crosses. Achenteh is decent for a 2.Bundesliga player (Cross: 13, Pass: 12) but not so much in Bundesliga. Con is lightning fast, but his technicals need a ton of work (Cross: 5, Pass: 9). He's already a decent defender (Marking: 12, Tackling: 13), he just isn't much of a help offensively.

As for the BWM DM and DCs, I just need them to shut down the opponents offense and get the ball to Stark. So nothing special for them, although Passing ability would be a great bonus, especially if I could tell my BWM DM to go with more direct passing.

So the only area I'm comfortable with going with my fast break tactic in Bundesliga is the playermaker positions. The rest of my team isn't good enough to pull that off in the top division. At least not yet. I have a lot of young, developing players. Maybe in a few years.

As for my Gegenpressing tactic, I haven't seen much yet, so I'm not sure yet how it's going to hold up against Bundesliga teams in real matches or what I need to make it better.....we'll see. This could be painful.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote