View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #222
SteveM58
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
80% of the country doesn't have a choice. Cellular is not comparable at the moment.

And why wouldn't the tech giant want to keep the money? They created the product or service that people want. Why would they share that with a company that had nothing to do with their business?
Your 80% number is not true. Most people live in metro areas and have at least 2 choices because population density makes it viable to have competition. Where you typically don't have 2 providers are rural areas where the population density is so low that even 1 company has a hard time making a business case (arguably DISH or cellular ISPs could be the 2nd, but we'll stick to hardline).

Its not about "sharing" revenue, which was sarcasm on my part. Its about competition in the online ad space. I'm not sure why you think Google is entitled to leverage its infrastructure of data mining they've built to make money yet ISPs should not? Maybe there's a good argument to be made there but I can't see it.

And are you really not seeing how the Internet Service Provider enabled the tech giants to monetize the internet? I'm not following your train of thought outside of ISPs are inherently evil actors.
SteveM58 is offline   Reply With Quote