View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

in reading some of the winning scripts i'd say the 2 most important components are structure and story. which also happens to be the 2 weakest parts of my game. dialogue is important but apparently less so. in fact some of the dialogue is downright cringeworthy.

now, it's not that i don't know how to write structure it's just that i thought i was good enough to break the rules.

i wasn't and i'm not.

in fact breaking the rules is the worst thing an amateur can do. professionals can break the rules because they've proven they can tell a coherent story. amateurs that break the rules come off as,'does this guy even know what the fuck he's doing?'

so this time around structure is priority numero uno. 3 acts, theme, arc, conflict, resolution.

now about that story...

in the past i didn't focus much on story because in my ignorance i claimed my stuff was episodic and character driven like the coens or david lynch. act one had nothing to do with act three because it's all just commentary on the human condition, maaaan.

now that i''m older and wiser i see how dumb that was. screenplays aren't art they're products to be sold. they have to be easy to follow with mass appeal. meet boy. boy meets girl. boy loses girl. boy gets girl back. credits. everything in between is just glue.

that said, i've been working on a story on and off for the past couple years that's engaging, original and completely unexplored by hollywood. it could be huge.

but some asshole stole it
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote