View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #12
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

August 7, 2019

During July, Aidan attended the three regional camps in Chicago, Memphis, and New York. At first, I wondered if I'd just wasted a big chunk of my recruiting budget, because it appeared I'd just learned a lot about a bunch of players who had no interest in playing for Princeton.

So, I continued recruiting the players who did seem interested. To my dismay, almost none of them were willing to come to campus for a visit.

Out of frustration, wanting someone to recruit, I turned back to the players Aidan had watched at the Big Apple Showcase. None of these players were expressing any interest in us.

Culling this big herd is a challenge. Since it's my first season, I'm not yet able to judge how high a player's GPA needs to be in order for him to remain academically eligible at an elite academic institution like Princeton. If I bring in a guy who flunks out. That could cost me my job. I'm not concerned about Michael Lockwood and his 4.0 average. It's the guys with averages around 3.0 that I'm not sure about.

I added some of them to my call and watch lists, which also has the benefit of having Aidan's assistants call them behind the scenes and learn more about their priorities. Then, on a whim, I had Aidan invite the ones I liked best to visit campus.

Three of them accepted their invitations!

Dominick Stokes, a 6'8" forward from Pennsylvania, didn't think his visit was productive. However, the other two guys who visited on July 30 were more impressed. Quick 6'0" point guard DeWy Henry came up from Virginia, and he was appreciative of our time. Lewis Martin had an even better time. The athletic, 6'8" forward from West Virginia gave Aidan the same feedback he'd received from Michael Lockwood. Henry (#361 nationally) is a much more highly regarded player than most of the guys I was recruiting before.

This week, I noticed that some of the players who had once had plus-plus-plus interest in us were no longer impressed. These are the players who had turned down campus visits. Maybe they're mad because I haven't offered scholarships to them.

I went back to the strategy I used last week, and brought in three more "reach" guys. Mario Saunders (PF, 6'8", Virginia, #271 nationally) and Johnny Morris (SF, 6'7", North Carolina, #1033 nationally) had very good visits. So, I've decided to offer them scholarships and see what happens next.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote