View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 12:47 AM   #57
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 7
Carolina 1-5 @ Atlanta 3-3
We are still wincing from last week's loss. We know that we should have done a better job holding onto our lead, and holding onto the fumble. At least this week we are playing one of the league's doormats, and we should be able to take care of them and get back into a winning frame of mind.
Not only are the Panther's on of the NFL's worst teams, but they are now missing some of their best players due to injury. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to cover the 12 point spread.

Well we didn't cover the spread, but that is only because the Panthers were able to complete a 42 yard TD pass as the final gun sounded. It is still a 21-11 win for us, however I am going to have to see if any of my DB's might have been on the take.

As for Leland Nixon, he was able to pick up 126 yards and 1 TD on 26 carries. It would have been a solid day for him, were it not for his two fumbles. At least we were able to recover one of those fumbles.

Week 8
BYE
We have a few injuries that can use this week off, but not too many. Let's hope that it stays that way.

Week 9
Atlanta 4-3 @ Dallas 3-5
Dallas has not been playing very well at all this year. They have the worst running game in the league, and among the worst passing offences. They are the second lowest scoring team. Their one strength has been their ability to stop the run. That could spell trouble for us, but we are still favored by 9.

Leland really came through in the clutch for us. Against a team that was supposed to be able to shut him down, Nixon averaged 7.3 yards per carry. He ran for 168 yards on 23 carries. He was held out of the end zone, but we were able to score other ways to win it 20-12. The down side was that Nixon had another fumble. This is his fourth game in a row with a turnover and it is not helping our cause.

Mid Season review

We are half way through the season and we are right on pace to hit most of our goals. We are currently tied with the Buccaneers for first place in the division. Tampa did win our first meeting, but we will have a chance to avenge that loss at home in week 15. Leland is on pace to easily eclipse his rushing total from last year, and may even top his career best of 1784. He has 965 yards on 211 carries this season. That is an average for 4.57 yards per carry, which is almost a yard per carry better than last year. He has only scored 6 TDs this year, which will make reaching 12 for the season difficult, but very doable. His 6 fumbles so far is just one shy of his total fumbles all last season. He really will need to work on holding that ball if we are going to keep winning this year.

Another area of struggle is our defense. We are allowing 22.3 points per game, which is 23rd in the league. We have been especially weak against the pass which is frustrating because I feel like I have put together a solid group of DBs, but they just keep getting burned. I am not sure what more I can do about it.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote