View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 01:43 AM   #641
Radii
Head Coach

-- Stuart Kirkland, Troy Brown, Gordon Donnelly, and Constantino all make the Championship team of the week this week.

Training Update

-- Constantino is reported to have trained well in "shooting" this past month, I don't see any ratings bumps but yeah, awesome!

May Update

-- Just one game left, at Gillingham.

-- The board is delighted with me. Same reasons as always. We lost $600,000 last month, taking our balance down to $2 Million in the red.

May 6th, 2018

Ipswich(28-11-6, 1st) @ Gillingham(21st)

Gillingham promoted up from League 1 last year and have barely avoided relegation. They've got nothing to play for today as a result, though I guess with a win and 5 other teams losing they could finish as high as 17th since there's tons of teams between 45-47 points. Still, we're just 5:4 favorites today, they are 7:4 dogs to win at their place. We beat them 1-0 back in December and are 2-0-0 lifetime against them (with a win back in 2011 in the League Cup).

GK: Murphy
D: Kirkland/Bruce/Brown/Berthet
DMC: Paulo
MC: Donnelly/Bennett
AMC: Mills
ST: Khan/Constantino

Simeon Jackson leads them with 15 goals, Kelvin Etuhu has 14 goals. Simeon Jackson was a dominant performer in League 1 last year, I believe he finished 3rd in goals behind Constantino and a striker from Crystal Palace. No changes for us going into the last match. Standard mindset today.

10': Kirkland has it going down the left side, a cross into the area, Constantino wins a header, but its over, its actually considered a clear cut chance and that surprises me a bit.

15': They take their first shot, its blocked and goes back for a corner. We clear the initial corner back out wide, they send it back in, a shot goes off... Murphy saves it but can't hold and it goes back for corner #2. Headed back for Corner #3. This one is cleared... they send it back in... cleared again, they send it back in yet again... and head it out of bounds. Whew.

21': WTF! Constantino with a run down the right... he tries a cross, one of their defenders blocks it, defender Leary picks up the ball, but he's facing the goal, maybe 4 yards out or so? And he just doesn't control it well at all, so awful for them... he basically runs the ball into his own net.. own goal! 1-0

34': Two quick highlights for us, both show crosses coming in from the right, headers by Mills and Khan... both just over.

36': We win one in their end, Donnelly sends it deep down the right side, Constantino gets to it and its basically a 2v2 situation. Both defenders converge on Constantino, he calmly sends a pass across the penalty area to Khan who passes it into the net. Very easy goal, a great ball by Donnelly into open space and Constantino's speed create that one. 2-0

HALF: The own goal is one of the stranger things we've seen, the second goal was very nice for us. We've got 4 shots, 1 on target, they've got 5, one on target. The stats are fairly even but thanks to the own goal we're completely in control.

48': We kick off and pass it back all the way to the keeper. He sends it up ahead, a couple passes later, Bennett has it just on our end of the field, he sends a low ball forward, Constantino gets to it 40 yards from the goal... he just takes off, outruns everyone, gets into the area and scores. Its crazy how easy he can do that, wonder how he'll hold up at the next level! 3-0

63': Bennett does the exact same thing again... slightly on our end of the field, he sends it ahead, Matthew Khan runs onto this one, sends it further forward and sprints to the ball, he's got it alone in the area, blasts a shot full power and the keeper has no chance. 4-0

We basically kill off the rest of the clock, a couple long balls that didn't come to anything. That'll do it, we secure a championship, the 3rd one in a row for me!!!!

Gillingham 0 : 4 Ipswich

Man of the Match: Bryan Bennett (9.0)
Goals: Khan 2 (8.8), Constantino (9.0)
Assists: Bennett 2, Constantino
Notables: Berthet (7.8), Kirkland (8.2), Brown (7.6), Bruce (7.7), Paulo (7.2), Donnelly (7.5), Mills (7.2)

Huddersfield get their win as well and clinch promotion. Ipswich have won the Coca-Cola Championship.

Stoke, Burnley, Watford and QPR will fight it out in the playoffs for the last promotion spot.

Middlesborough, Woking and Portsmouth demote back to League 1.

-- Ipswich's Board gives me an additional transfer budget of $6.75 Million. I have no idea what I'd do with this right now. I'm assuming that we won't be able to loan in EPL guys to compete against EPL teams next year. Should I try to sign Bryan Bennett full time? Gudmundsson? Mills? Paulo and Ford I don't think would hold up at the next level just yet. Probably not, I have a core of young players that I like but probably if I do anything I should try to bring in some veterans. But the smart thing to do would be to just make a huge profit and see if we can claw and scratch and stay up next year.

Fun decisions to come!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote