View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #262
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Despite your, umm.... flair, I actually intend to read the stuff you have linked to here. In my first several minutes of doing so, I see a lot of deeply bad math (or, rather, deep misunderstanding of math) that rivals the "bad science" these folks seek to decry.

I'd like to know what bad math, or even numbers, you are referring to here. Unless I missed it (and that's a possibility), most of the numbers I recall from the articles are quoted directly from the original research paper itself.

While I don't have the time nor the ability to accurately summarize all of the points from the articles (or attack articles??? as they were referred to), it's pretty clear in my mind that there is almost no merit to that study. Furthermore, I'm not even sure what diets Zoe Harcombe or the Fat Head website promote so I don't think that can really be used as an argument in following a certain "path" (and as it is, what I consume probably falls closer to Paul Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet than anything else).

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I am personally pretty convinced that cholesterol and saturated fats, both present in eggs, are bad for you, especially if you have a predisposition toward heart disease. I am generally convinced that some measure of egg consumption has a positive correlation to heart disease... sure.

I thought it was well documented at least a few years ago now that the lipid theory of heart disease originally presented by Ancel Keys was incorrect (and Keys may have even admitted so himself). I also thought it was a fairly accepted fact that the cause of heart disease was inflammation, which itself is caused by refined carbs, sugars and to a lesser extent grains and starches.

Like I said earlier, I'm not anti-vegan by any means and if you can find a way to subtract grains and soy and keep up your protein, B12 and omega 3 then all the power to you and I think that would be an extremely healthy diet.

At the end of the day, different diets work better for different people. Some people are better off without dairy, some better off with less starches, some without beef etc. My biggest belief though is that any person concerned with what they eat should be doing much more research into the health effects of wheat, gluten and grains.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote