View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #271
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Yes, that's the primary easy switch... Replace simple white flour with whole wheat, which is easy to find and a fairly painless switch taste-wise.

If you're serious about getting to whole grains (which I think is worthwhile) then learn your labeling rules:

Wheat = means almost nothing

Multi grain = contains more than one grain, but not necessarily whole grains

Whole Wheat = bread or pasta labeled like this only has to be 51% whole wheat, the rest can be processed or white

100% Whole Wheat = the real thing

At some point, you can progress with your use of grains... Get rid of the processed junk first. Then get rigidly whole grain. Then search for more nutritious grains, like quinoa. And all the way along, reducing the share of your diet that is supported by grains,which are fairly lightweight in terms of nutrition -- and shift toward greens and vegetables where it makes sense.

Ok, one other thing....I drink iced tea. ALL the time. I use splenda as a sweetner. I know it's not good for me. Alternatives? I have done google searches for alternatives to artificial sweetners, and all that comes up is real sugar.