Thread: AWS re:Invent
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #19
bhlloy
Coordinator

Really depends on what kind of role you have I would say. The associate ones are probably obtainable and valuable without any practical experience, it's very hard (but not impossible) to get the professional level certs without the experience but then you're not going to be able to sit those without going through the associate level exam anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point.

I got the associate Solutions Architect with my only real AWS experience being in RDS (and some very high level intro CloudFormation and general VPC/Networking work) at the time, so that's definitely something you can do with 1-2 months of study. I'd highly recommend it as a gateway into the AWS world, unless you're more Operations or Developer focused in which case I'd look at those first.

As for whether companies would hire you with just a certification for an AWS focused role, I'm skeptical although there still aren't a ton of people out there with years of AWS experience or roles that are 100% AWS focused so I think a certification shows you are serious that is an area you are interested in and have taken steps to pursue and compliments your other experience. The AWS and public cloud route has been an incredible thing for my career and I really couldn't recommend trying to get in on it now enough. You certainly haven't missed the boat yet.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote