View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #16
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have heard some folks say that The Orville feels more like a new Star Trek show than Discovery. The Orville is definitely channeling TNG more than anything else, of course.

The Orville is a pretty blatant spoof of TNG I think. It feels like its done by fratboys-its not meant to be overly serious. I've seen the first episode of Discovery, and its much more in the vein of Star Trek. More of a action-hero version, cause I think peaceful exploration got thrown out the window about half-way through.

The special effects were great, and much more in line with the recent movies. Acting was good I thought, especially the captain and first officer. Actors seemed much more into their roles then say the first season of TNG or DS9.

The changes to the way the Klingons look didn't bother me as much as I thought it would-I think its a "modern" take on what they would look like, and they are the villains now unlike in some versions of Trek. I like the tip of the hat to racial issues with the albino (?) Klingon who became the Torchbearer. I'm not as happy with the changes to the Klingon backstory, such as where is Klingon, and how did these ships become the Klingon homeworld? (that part where the dead Klingon became a part of the ship? shudder).

And still most of all not a fan of what point in the timeline Discovery takes place. Would have much rather seen something after DS9's stories personally. And I won't be subscribing to their cable service to see more episodes-just a horrible move on their point. May check to see if they have a free month offer though