View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #236
BYU 14
Coordinator

I thought the Lawler/Smith was excellent and definitely begs for a rematch based on the circumstances. Smith said afterward he was trying to take his full 5 minutes and I put the stoppage more on the Doctor, who either didn't fully understand the rules or does not have much, if any experience with MMA/Boxing and overreacted. Regardless, crappy way to end an excellent brawl. Classy thing for Elite to give both men their win bonus.

The stoppage in the Carano fight was justified, again a more experienced fight Doctor may have let it continue, but as Flasch said, she possibly suffered a fracture with the amount of swelling that occured almost immediately. Her Eye would have been completely shut fairly quickly if she had contniued and it would have ended then. I have seen Boxing matches stopped because of swelling.

The Slice fight was a complete joke and I am glad it happened on national TV. Kimbo's mystique was pretty much shattered and hopefully this derails the whole hype train surrounding him. Dude is a badass at what he does best (Street fight) but he will never be a top MMA guy. Thompson was a low level Pride guy and is completely on dimensional. Anybody with a solid ground game would have destroyed Slice in round two. He also should have taken about 30 knees to the ribs, which Thompson seemed to have no interest in doing at all.

Brett Rodgers who won the opening fight had destroyed Thompson inside of a round when they met and was pissed he was not allowed to fight Slice...I doubt he gets a chance now after this showing. Slice will become the Butterbean of MMA, a character they match largely with stiffs so they can ride the Gravy Train as long as possible. I imagine Dana White is still laughing somewhere.

At least Faber/Pulver tonight will redeem the weekend for MMA
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote