View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #239
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
With all the talk about the finishes, I wonder how many people were thinking what I wondered for a bit: whether these were "worked shoots" instead of actual fights. Basically scripted with the ending called in advance but designed for everything to look as real as possible to the casual observer.

It isn't exactly unheard of with MMA fighters, several names have participated in such events through the years (Severn, Frye to name a couple) and it's done okay in Japan at times. So with last night's endings, it doesn't seem out of the question to at least wonder.

Thing is, I wonder what the "I wonder" percentage would be among MMA fans vs MMA casual observers vs MMA first time viewers.

This is a fairly common practice in Japan, with the hook being you never know when.

From my perspective, whether it was implied or directed, there was no way they were going to let Slice lose that fight unless he got knocked cold or choked out. Thompson's style was tailor made for Slice and I think they in no way anticapated him giving Kimbo so much trouble. It seemed as soon as he had the slightest excuse the Referee couldn't stop the fight quick enough.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 06-01-2008 at 11:39 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote