View Single Post
Old 05-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #22
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If you want to get the most out of your younger players over the course of their career, you need a trainer. Why? Because you get more experience for matches with a trainer than you do from friendly matches. As a talented player develops, they eventually reach the point(when your endurance gets over 3 you will probably start to notice this) where even if you have them constantly playing in practice tournaments in between real events you still need to supplement that with friendly matches to keep them from wasting days(i.e., running out of fatigue which is always a bad thing because it means they lost training time and gained less experience than they could have).

Anil Mehul will not be as good as he could have been, because he's never had a trainer(Manohar is still a little over 4 game-years from being ready to hang 'em up and take on that role, and even then he'll be a good-not-great one). I've also screwed up maybe a dozen or so weeks over the course of his career and not entered him in events . But you know, you live and learn, and that's why I play in the slow time control.

Essentially this is what I recommend for starting out:

** Best 14-year-old you can find. Be prepared to fire them if you find a better one. New players join the pool every few game weeks on Monday.
** Best prime player(i.e. around 25) you can find with the rest of your available points. Their purpose is to gain you points so you can buy a better one.
** As soon as you have enough points, get the best prime player available. You won't be able to get a good one, but I think in my game world it was around 700 points or so that the best ones went for. You are looking for the player with the best potential as a trainer.
** Once you get that first trainer, you can train new young players better.

There's a certain 'build-up' involved and I'm not all the way there yet. But the bottom-line idea is this: you can't make a player the 'best they can be' until you have a top trainer, so getting the best trainer you can as soon as you can is IMO a key priority. Then you can use that trainer to better work on a next-gen player, giving them better skills and they will eventually become a better trainer than the first guy ... and so on until you've got a truly elite trainer going and then you just need to keep the system humming. That's why I hang on to Anil Manohar even though he's struggling to stay in the Top 500 and declining all the time. I need to max out his abilities for training so that the next young prodigy I bring up can benefit from his skills. When I do that(I think it's going to be at the end of 2039, or a little over a game year from now) I'll post something about the results, practice vs. training matches, to give an idea of how much of a difference it makes. All the top managers have top trainers(usually 5.0). There's a formula on the site for how the trainer ability is determined. Right now Manohar would be a 3.8 on the 5-point scale, I should be able to get him into the low 4s.

I probably should also point out here that while I'm sure you'll develop your own system for what events to enter players in when(I'm still working on mine), pay attention to their form(look at the documentation for where the penalties and bonuses kick in if you don't know) so that you aren't overplaying or underplaying them, and also keep in mind you get more experience from losing than winning. If you are winning the title at almost every event, you aren't playing the right ones(unless of course you are the #1 player in the world) .

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-29-2015 at 02:27 AM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote