View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #263
sabotai
General Manager

港の日本娘 (1933)
Minato no Nihon musume
English Title: Japanese Girls at the Harbour

Directed By: Shimizu Hiroshi
Written By: Mitsuru Suyama, Toma Kitabayashi (story)
Starring: Oikawa Michiko, Yukiko Inoue, Ranko Sawa, Ureo Egawa
Length: 72 min.
Genre: Drama

The story centers around, as the title indicates, a group of girls in the harbor city of Yokohama. Sunako and Dora are students at a Catholic girls school who are best friends. They always walk together to and from school. They're always going to be close in each other's lives.

The third girl, Yoko Sheridan is a more...let's say...experienced girl. And all three have caught the attention of a young man name Henry. Between Sunako and Dora, Sunako is more successful at gaining his attention, and Dora, while hurt at first, refuses to let a boy come between her and her friend. Yoko Sheridan, on the other hand, is ruthless in her attempts to win Henry.

This drives Sunako crazy. She can't accept it. While Henry is with Yoko Sheridan late one night at the church, Sunako shows up and shoots her. Sunako flees.

Cut to years later. Sunako has moved around from city to city, and eventually makes her way back to Yokohama, reluctantly at first. With her is Miura, a painter who follows Sunako around like a puppy dog. Sunako, a nice girl before all this, has become a dancing girl. She works in bars, dances with men...probably other things the movie never shows. She acts happy around others, but she's hit rock bottom.

Back in Yokohama, Henry runs into Sunako. Henry had married Dora. Now that Sunako is back, Dora is intent on trying to be friends again. Henry seems to regain his interest in Sunako. The rest of the movie is the back and forth as they try and try not to be in each other's lives. Henry starts hitting the bottle hard, Dora is at the end of her rope with him. Sunako finds Henry in a bar, takes him back to Dora, and leaves for good. She leaves, accompanied by Miura, on a ship leaving Yokohama.

A bittersweet ending with Sunako leaving behind most of the people in her life, but determined to improve her life.

I really enjoyed the story, and the movie overall. I feel like I'm becoming a broken record, but again, here I am, pointing out creative use of the camera and editing and how much I enjoyed it. Maybe I should have become a cinematographer...

My Rating: 7/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.0/10 (460 votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: N/A Critics, 67% of Audience (3.6 / 5 ; 100 votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote