sabotai
General Manager

Babes in Toyland (1934)

Directed By: Gus Meins, Charles Rogers
Written By: Frank Butler, Nick Grinde
Starring: Stan Laurel, Oliver Hardy, Charlotte Henry, Felix Knight
Length: 77 min.
Genre: Comedy

It's Babes in Toyland starring Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy as Stannie Dum and Ollie Dee.

Stannie and Ollie live in a shoe with Mother Peep and her daughter, Bo Peep. The mortgage is due and the evil Silas Barnaby wants his money. Mother Peep can't afford it, but Barnaby says he'll rip up the mortgage if Bo Peep marries him. Ollie promises that he and Stannie can get the money.

What follows is Ollie and Stannie in a series of gags of them failing to get the money and scheming to get Mother Peep out of the mortgage. The 'Laurel and Hardy' parts of the movie were hilarious. I loved their shorts when I was a kid but I've never seen a full length movie of their's.

The problem is the rest of the movie. Just plain and boring. The music was boring. The movie would cut away from Laurel and Hardy for extended periods of time, mainly for the musical numbers and the love subplot between Bo Peep and Tom-Tom. I've never seen Babes in Toyland (did when I was a kid, but don't remember), so I have no idea how it measures up to the standard musical Babes in Toyland.

When the movie was over, it didn't make me want to watch more Laurel and Hardy movies. Just watch their shorts again. Still, the Laurel and Hardy half of the movie was great.

My Rating: 6/10
IMDB User Rating: 7.3/10 (5.5k votes)
Rotten Tomatoes: 100% Critics (15-0), 78% of Audience (3.6 / 5 ; 4.6k votes)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote