View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 04:22 PM   #76
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am not going to go as far as giving the official the benefit of the doubt. I am not saying it was clearly racist either. I am comfortable saying I don’t know and leaving it at that. The example that Barnes used of the coaching staff with five black coaches, one white coach and how the official would identify him is a bit problematic. Given the current makeup of coaching staffs at that level throughout the game, it would be impossible to believe that the official wouldn’t know the manager of the team. Sad but true.

One thing we can all agree. This is one incident where we are sure that race (not necessarily racism) played a primary factor.

He wasn’t the manager FWIW, rather one of a number of coaches, and I think its highly likely that the 4th official didn’t have a clue who the majority of the coaching staff were.

But I concur with your last sentence race was clearly the primary factor: he wouldn’t have been described as ‘the black guy’ if he wasn’t black, not if he was not the only black guy

Edits in italics as I felt more clarification needed

Last edited by AlexB : 12-09-2020 at 05:38 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote