View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

08-09 Early Season Recruit Report

We started out recruiting with a very big net, focusing on in-state talent and some of the better talents from out of state. After a couple of months, we finally get three verbal commitments for next season.

C Scott Jordan / 6'9" 242 lbs. / Astoria, OR - Knappa HS / 3.1 GPA
HS Stats: 13.6 ppg, 2.6 apg, 8.6 rpg, 3.3 bpg, 1.3 spg

Scott Jordan was a great steal for us. As of his verbal, he is the #1-ranked Center in the West Region, and is the #9-ranked Center in the entire Nation. His ranking has been pretty steady throughout the entire course of recruitment.

He was initially cold towards us, but eventually warmed up once we gave him a tour of the school.

He has a big desire to stay close to home and considered Academics and Discipline among his top priorities, and fortunately, Utah is a great match for all three.

Based on our scouting reports, Jordan is a very hard worker. He is not as athletically gifted as most players (D), but is a monster rebounder (A), a good defender (B) and shot-blocker (B), and is a good offensive presence down low (scoring: B, inside: B).

Jordan is rated as an A-overall, with reports pegging him as a 4-star recruit.

PG Josh Boschee / 5'10" 170 lbs. / Cedar City, UT - Cedar City HS / 3.2 GPA
HS Stats: 12.8 ppg, 5.5 apg, 3.1 rpg, 1.4 bpg, 1.9 spg

We were down to two choices for PG, and decided to offer our scholarship to the one who we felt was the type of PG that we needed. As of his verbal, Boschee was rated as the #2-ranked PG in the West Region, and the #34-ranked PG in the Nation. He's been on a recent slide down the national rankings, from #15.

Boschee's parents both attended Utah, which is a big plus, and we were in the top 3 of his short list since the beginning. The other two being USC and BYU.

A strong desire to stay close to home and high academics played a big part in him choosing us.

Our scouting reports have Boschee pegged as a hard-working player with an average personality. He is scouted to be athletic (B) and an excellent ball handler (A) and passer (A).

Boshcee is rated as a B-overall, with reports pegging him as a 4-star recruit.

C Brendon Ross / 6'9" 277 lbs. / Garland, UT - Bear River HS / 3.2 GPA
HS Stats: 16.1 ppg, 3.7 apg, 7.6 rpg, 0.6 bpg, 1.1 spg

In hindsight, I should have just pursued other SGs in the same range as Ross, but I decided that I'm in need of another center anyway. As of his verbal, Ross was rated as the #7-ranked C in the West Region, and the #73-ranked C in the Nation. He has been on a big slide up the national rankings, from #155.

Ross was always an option for us, and he kept the door open, despite being courted by Stanford and Air Force.

Like Boschee and Jordan, Ross had a high desire to stay home and high academics.

Ross is pegged to be a below-average defender (D) and shot blocker (D), and an inept rebounder (F). He is, however, pegged as an offensive powerhouse inside (A), and a good scorer (B). I am not high on the fact that I am recruiting a center that can't rebound or defend, but his scoring might make up for it.

Ross is rated as a B-overall, with reports pegging him as a 4-star recruit.

Overall

I wasn't able to find a SG that I liked, and might have rolled the dice on Ross, but acquiring Jordan and Boschee were big moves that pushed me closer to the type of team I want to run. The season is drawing near, and team practices are about to begin. It will be interesting to find out if my five freshmen can blend in with the team properly.

Last edited by Neon_Chaos : 07-11-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Neon_Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote