View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Staff Report

I figured out that we had about $65,000 left on our budget and didn't have any more recruiting to do... so, I went a fired my 2nd assistant coach and hired a new guy. Reggie Miller (38 yrs old, no relation to that Reggie Miller) is a coach with decent scouting, below average coaching and recruiting, but highly rated in player development (rated at 86). He is signed for $61,000 for one year.

Lineup Report: I decide to give Reggie McCaffery more playing time over Otis Ward to gauge his ability to play within our system. So far, that's the only change I'm doing. I like playing Devin Wilson as a starter and having Pete Tate come off the bench... it gives me a strong defensive stopper/offensive option at the post when Aaron Asbury sits.

Non-Conference Games - December

December 3, 2008 - Jacksonville St. 38 @ #8 Utah 67

Justin Harrell led us with 17 points, 6 rebounds and 4 asssists in this easy game against Jacksonvill St. Xavier Swift had 11 points, 10 rebounds and 2 blocks. Aaron Asbury had 9 points, 5 rebounds, and 7 assists. Reggie McCaffery had a decent game off the bench with 5 points and 3 rebounds.

Injury Report: Otis Ward is suffering from the flu, but will be back in a couple of days.

December 7, 2008 - Louisiana-Lafayette 59 @ #7 Utah 91

We demolish Louisiana-Lafayette, as five Utes score in double digits. Xavier Swift led the way with 22 points and 3 rebounds. Ray Watson had 15 points and 3 steals. Aaron Asbury scored 14 and grabbed 8 rebounds but fouled out of the game. Justin Harrell had 12 points, while Pete Tate had 11 points and 8 rebounds off the bench.

December 10, 2008 - #7 Utah 66 @ Hartford 63

This was a close one. Hartford was down by one, 63-64, with possesion of the ball and 17 seconds left. They waste time and turn the ball over, then foul Ray Watson who makes two free throws with 4 seconds left. We press, and they aren't able to put up a shot to attempt for the tie.

Aaron Asbury led with 19 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 steals. Xavier Swift had 12 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 steals. Ray Watson had 11 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. Reggie McCaffery pitched in 8 points off the bench. Pete Tate had 4 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, and 3 blocks off the bench as well.

Player Notes: R.T. Scheer and Reggie McCaffery were at it again during practice. The team was slowly souring on McCaffery, and I give him another warning. I will have to keep my eye on McCaffery's attitude if I want him to remain a Ute for the next 4 years.

December 14, 2008 - #8 Utah 72 @ Utah St. 69 OT

I don't like these close games, even worse, it was against our yearly OOC rival, Utah St. Utah St. was up 59-56, and Ray Watson nails a cold-blooded 3 to tie the game with 7 seconds left. Utah St. tries for a last shot with a quick push for a layup, but Justin Harrell swats it away as time expires. Harrell added to his heroics for the night by hitting the the game-winning three with one second left, giving us the win!

Xavier Swift had 19 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 steals. Aaron Asbury had 10 points and 8 rebounds. Ray Watson, hero #1, had 16 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and 2 blocks. Justin Harrell, hero #2, had 13 points, 3 rebounds, 7 assists, and 3 blocks.

December 17, 2008 - VMI 53 @ #8 Utah 73

Another game, another win. Most of these teams are cupcakes, and I know we're only unfairly padding our record, but heck, I'll take it this season.

Aaron Asbury explodes for 21 points and 13 rebounds. Ray Watson had 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists. Xavier Swift had 5 points and 7 rebounds.

December 21, 2008 - #8 Utah 67 @ James Madison 66

Our perfect non-conference schedule record was on the line, and James Madison gaves us a lot of trouble. They didn't actually take the lead for the entire game, but were just right behind us all the way. With this win, we remain undefeated (12-0) headed into conference play... nice.

Xavier Swift had a bad game, fouling out in the 1st half with only 6 points and 3 rebounds. Aaron Asbury had 17 points and 7 rebounds. Reggie McCaffery dialed in with 11 points off the bench.

Injury Report: Pete Tate broke his hand during the first half of James Madison game and will be gone for 53 days. Well... fuck. I'm not sure if I can get the same production from my other big men. Tate was a HUGE part of the bench. Jeez. The timing of this one couldn't be worse. That mean's he'll be out until sometime in February, towards the tail-end of the season. Ugh.