View Single Post
Old 07-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Non-Conference Games Summary

We clearly have three key players: Xavier Swift, Aaron Asbury, and Ray Watson. Swift is averaging 14.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.9 apg, and a conference-leading 1.9 spg. Aaron Asbury is averaging 14.0 ppg, 7.7 rpg, and 1.8 apg. Ray Watson is averaging 12.0 ppg, 3.4 rpg, and 2.0 apg. Justin Harrell and RT Scheer are combining 13.1 rpg and 5.4 apg. Pete Tate was putting up great numbers off the bench, with 7.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.6 apg, and a team-leading 1.5 bpg, up until he was taken out with an injury.

Mountain West Conference Preview

Predicted Ranking (non-conference games in parenthesis)

1. Utah Utes (12-0)

2. BYU Cougars (11-2) - Led by Jr SG Jaron Howard, who is averaging 25.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.5 spg, and 1.7 bpg.

3. Air Force Falcons (10-3) - Led by Sr SF Cory Church and Jr SG Eric Whiteman, averaging 14.5 and 10.3 ppg, respectively.

4. New Mexico Lobos (7-5) - Led by Sr C William McColpin, averaging 21.8 ppg, a conference-leading 10.9 rpg, 2.2 apg, and 1.2 spg.

5. Wyoming Cowboys (5-6) - Led by Sr SF Keith Sheffer, averaging 25.1 ppg and 4.0 rpg. Jr PG Jonte Agbai leads the conference in assists per game, with 5.3, and turnovers per game, with 4.6.

6. UNLV Rebels (5-6) - Led by Jr PG Sean Herbert, Sr C James Muckle, Sr PG Jeff Tiggs, averaging 14.5 ppg, 10.5 ppg, and 10.1 ppg, respectively.

7. Colorado St. Rams (7-4) - Led by Sr SG Ryan Greer, averaging 17.1 ppg, 2.8 apg, and 5.2 rpg.

8. TCU Horned Frogs (4-7) - Led by Sr SF Rodney Wilkes, averaging 14.3 ppg, and 4.3 rpg.

9. San Diego St. Aztecs (4-7) - Led by Jr PG Rick Henry, averaging 9.9 ppg, 3.6 apg, and 2.4 rpg.
Lineup Report

Reggie McCaffery
has been good off the bench, although he is definitely drawing the ire of most of his teammates. Otis Ward will get his old spot and minutes back... I'll need more of a veteran bench presence now that I've lost Tate for most of the season. Marcus Humphrey and Donnie McCullum will find more minutes because of Tate's injury, with McCullum playing more at bC, and Humphrey at bPF

Mountain West Conference Games - December to Mid-January

December 28, 2008 - #8 Utah 59 vs. UNLV 66 OT

Our first conference game of the season, and we lose a six point lead in the final two minutes and completely collapse in overtime. We only manager 16 points in the paint to 28 by UNLV. Xavier Swift had 14 points and Ray Watson had 15, the only two guys on our roster to score in double figures. We were demolished on rebounding, 40 to 35, no thanks to their 6'2" SG, Sean Herbert, grabbing 12 rebounds.

December 31, 2008 - Air Force 58 vs. #8 Utah 66

Three days later, we celebrate with a big win against Air Force. At least we wouldn't spend New Year's eve sulking about back-to-back losses. Aaron Asbury had 20 points and 9 rebounds. Xavier Swift had 18 points and 4 rebounds. Justin Harrell scored 18 points and grabbed 5 rebounds. We limited Cory Church to only 14 minutes of play and 11 poitns thanks to foul trouble.

Injury Report: We get a mood-messing report from our trainer. We lose another big man, as our starting PF, Devin Wilson apparently sprained his calf. He will be out for approximately 14 days, no news yet if he can play in limited minutes.

January 4, 2009 - #10 Utah 75 @ TCU 49

Lineup Report:Devin Wilson won't be ready to play full minutes, so we dress up Marcus Humphrey as our starter.
We dominate the paint against TCU, scoring 30 PiP compared to 18 from the Horned Frogs. We mopped them on the rebounds as well, having a 33-22 edge on the boards. Xavier Swift led the way with 19 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 steals. Aaron Asbury had 9 points and 10 boards. Justin Harrell had 16 points and 3 assists. Ray Watson scored 12 points and grabbed 6 rebounds. Otis Ward contributed 10 points off the bench.

January 7, 2009 - #14 BYU 82 @ #10 Utah 75 OT

We waste a 10-point half-time lead and drop in OT against a very strong BYU team. Xavier Swift scored 22 points and Aaron Asbury had 10. Otis Ward had 11 points off the bench, the only other player to score in double figures for us. Jaron Howard torched us for 24 points, and he got big scoring contributions from his teammates to help oust us in this game. Devin Wilson finally was able to play and grabbed 5 rebounds in 4 minutes of play. Expect him to be back in the starting lineup soon.

Player Notes: Tempers flare as RT Scheer and Reggie McCaffery go at it once more. All signs point to McCaffery being pissed that Scheer is getting more minutes than him. I am losing my patience with McCaffery, and call him to my office. I tell him that he can stop being an ass, and if he doesn't want to play by my rules, he can file a transfer out of here at the end of the season. One more fight, and he'll get a one-week suspension. It was a bluff on my part... I needed him next year. He sulked out of my office, saying nothing.

January 11, 2009 - #10 Utah 75 @ Colorado St 58

We bounce back from the loss to BYU with a strong showing against Colorado St. Xavier Swift was limited to only 7 points and 5 rebounds. Reserve-turned-starter Marcus Humphries led the team with 15 points and 6 rebounds. Justin Harrell scored 15 points and had 4 assists. Aaron Asbury had 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. Otis Ward had 11 points off the bench, this being his 3rd straight game with double figures as our 6th man.

January 14, 2009 - San Diego St. 59 @ #10 Utah 77

Xavier Swift and Aaron Asbury have their combined game of the season, with Swift having 21 points, 13 rebounds, and 4 steals and Asbury having 22 points and 8 rebounds. Great performance by two of our best guys.

Player Notes: Ok, this is absurd. RT Scheer and Reggie McCaffery have another fight. These guys are not listening to me at all. I call Scheer into my office first. I give him a choice, either stop retaliating to McCaffery or be ready to face the consequences. Scheer tells me that he'll try his best. Ok, fine, just stop fighting. McCaffery gets no sermon from me. I suspend him for a week. Either he learns his lesson or not, but I run a tight ship, and I will have no loose cannons in it.

Injury Notes: Devin Wilson recovers from his injury and will be back playing next game.