View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 12:18 PM   #21610
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah, I know Publix is insane down there, but there have to be some people who are like "ooh, new!" or who are dissatisfied with Publix, right? (Or who are familiar with Kroger from being transplants?) I'd think it would be tougher for a startup, but if you're a huge, established company that can absorb losses for a bit (like, well, Walmart).

I mean, I'd figure supermarket chains are primed to fall (of course I guess that could mean Kroger, too). Growing up I remember going to A&P, Acme, Pathmark, Genuardi's...

To be honest, the only reason most people would be dissatisfied with Publix would be cost. I have one with 2-3 miles of my house. I will go there to pick up one or two items that were needed that day or take advantage of BOGO deals. It would never be my exclusive store but that is me. I am one of those people who has the time and patience to go to different stores for different types of groceries to maximize costs. Other than that, most people are not complaining about Publix because there really is not that much to complain about. I would say that Publix is a secondary store for most because they are EVERYWHERE.

As far as transplants who are familiar with Kroger, the only business I can remember making that sort of impact locally is Wawa. I mean gas stations were closing down when Wawa showed up across the street. I don't know how popular Kroger's is for transplants. The fact that Walmart has not made a dent in the popularity of Publix is telling.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote