View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #21
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Last Match of the Regular season.

With the tight standings if we were going to make the playoff we had to take at least 2 and more likely 3 to get in.

In this match, I played horribly. I had no energy and my serve was very suspect. It didn't help matters that our opponents hit nothing hard. Everything including returns was a log, half-lob, or cut/drop shot, which didn't allow me to get into any sort of a rhythm.

Set 1

We got down 0-2 quickly, because I lost my serve right out of the gate and they held. However, from there - it was smooth sailing for us as we closed out the first set 6-2. I played ok here, and my partner played especially well. His court coverage and ability to hit cut shots on the run drove them crazy.

Set 2

We were down early again, and we got it back to even, but we couldn't get a lead. My game slipped from mediocre to poor in this set, and my partner seemed to lose focus as he hit a bunch of shots he was eating up in the first set wide or long. We ended up losing 5 -7

Set 3

My serve was a little better here, and we got an early lead and never let up. My partner was serving at 5-2 and he had a 30 - love lead before I complete screwed everything up and we lost the serve. I was terrible, missing a couple of easy volleys, being out of position on a shot up the line, and generally just killing all the good my partner was doing. Thankfully, we immediately broke back to end the match and I played pretty well in the final game with a couple of big returns that they couldn't handle. 6-3

In total we took 3 points, but so did one of the other teams we were tied at 11 with (the team we played last week actually). I'm assuming the tie breakers will go like this:

1. head to head - split 2/2
2. sets won - both sides won 6 sets
3. games won - here we lose - my recollection is they got 52 games to our 49.

We apparently could still make the playoff as one of the highest producing 3rd place teams, so we'll see.

Last edited by Breeze : 07-19-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote