View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 02:28 AM   #607
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sat July 5, 2014 (continued)

We continue to add interesting players to the mix at Croft Park. 17 y/o Scottish DMC Joe Baxter has signed a youth contract. The former Chelsea prospect said he was especially looking forward to someday playing with our young MC Tommy Smyth.

Also coming on board with a youth deal is 18 y/o former Stoke prospect ML Adam Thackeray, a move that has delighted the fans.

Sunday July 6, 2014
World Cup Quarterfinals continued today

Italy advances with a 1-0 win over England. Mattia Cassani scored the only goal with a free kick from the edge of the area at 36'. England couldn't capitalize on a gift at 49' after Cassani turned the ball over, a pattern that repeated throughout the day. Can't help but think the absence of Wayne Rooney (twisted ankle) might have been the determining factor.

Sun July 6, 2014
The last WC quarterfinal match had enough drama for everyone as Holland defeated Spain 2(3) - 2(2) on penalties. An own goal by Iker Casillas at 24' had things looking grim for Spain for what must have felt like an eternity before Rodrigo scored in extra time at 90+2 to force an extra period. Rodrigo would strike again at 102' to turn the table on Holland but Georginio Wijnaldum leveled the match at 106'. From there each side hit their first two penalty tries, Holland went up 3-2 before missing on their 4th round as did Spain. Naturally, given the drama of the day, it fell to Wijnaldum to score the clinching goal in round 5.