View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #609
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sat July 12, 2014

Another friendly for our first team, this time about 90 million times tougher: we welcome Premier side Cardiff to Croft Park. Yes, this might not end well at all ... but they were willing AND the payday should be quite nice. Completely different lineup than the first outing, several trialists playing again today.

Well we won't get skunked. DC Tom Seery headed home a goal at 6' off a free kick. Nerves may have caused Tommy Smyth to hit the post instead of an empty net at 13'. Musungu scores from a low cross by Moke at 63'.

Yes, it was just a friendly -- and they only fielded 4 regulars from the team that won promotion to the EPL last season -- but considering the likely margin being 4 (or more) goals in the other direction, it's awfully nice. Seery played like a man possessed, earning MOM honors with an 8.3 outing. The whole back line was excellent really. (Loudon, Paul and Groves were the other starters on defense).

Attendance, btw, was 4,293, nearly double the largest previous crowd of my tenure ( 2,395 vs Darlington in August 2012). Our supporters also seem realistically inclined about the performance