View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #624
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sun Aug 3, 2014

We've released DR Dylan Purvis on a free, clearing his $250/wk rolling salary from the books. He was an original member of the club when I arrived & appeared in 63 games for us with a 6.77 lifetime rating but at this point we really didn't see a role for him going forward. Can't wish him anything but good, hope he gets a chance to play elsewhere.

Less than a week away from the start of BSB North play and, honestly, I feel pretty good about the possibilities for the season. The lineup has taken shape pretty well at this point and while injuries & suspensions & such will mean we can't quite roll with the plan from the start, overall we're fairly set.

Tactics: I honestly prefer a 4-4-2 Diamond but we look better in the straight 4-4-2. The roster meanwhile probably dictates the use of the 4-4-1-1 at least a fair part of the time. We definitely have to look to counterattack in a lot of situations, use our speed on the flanks when we can.

GK - Dovey & McDonald are set as the 1 and 2 keepers. Maybe close but not quite to 1a and 1b.

DL: Deen-Conteh is the clear starter, Ivanusa probably gets first crack at being his backup. Alex Donald could win the backup spot if he actually played well in the reserves but 17 y/o newcomer Barry Vickers, 20 y/o holdover Joe Henderson, even 21 y/o holdover Liam McGovern could win a chance as well. Out of contract 20 y/o Darren Holden would have a good chance here as well if he weren't stuck in the "want new contract / not interested is discussing" loop.

DR: Daniel Boateng looks like the obvious starter on paper but is currently injured and still has leftover red card suspension to deal with. That leaves typically reliable Danny Groves as the early season starter but a further backup there is a glaring situation at the moment. Option A was Sam Sawyer until he broke his arm, he's out for another month. On paper young Ben Jefford is Option B (and his bitching about first team action sure shows he thinks he's the guy) but his play hasn't supported that. I'd love to send him away on loan but no takers so far. That leaves an opportunity for 19 y/o Charlie Butt who often outplays his skills, with holdovers 20 y/o Callum Wilson or 21 y/o Jordan Kay last ditch solution.

DC: Fraser Kerry and Nigel Seidu are the clear starters here right now. Barring injury or serious slump I suspect they'll as solid as we get. Some combination of Kellen Daly, Andy Williamson (wants contract/won't discuss), Rhys Paul and Tom Seery should be the backups here.

DMC: When we find a chance to use one, the spot likely belongs to Marcel Ivanusa, with Sawyer as the backup. Young newcomer Joe Baxter rates 3rd best here (behind Ahmed out of position)

ML: Andrew Musungu likely starts, with Ivanusa seeing time here also. Scott Shulton is the utility man.

MR: Adriano Moke is the starter here before things fall into a muddled mess for a backup. Hassan Janneh is ostensibly the guy but young Grant Bowker is the highest rated, with Niall Thompson, Brad Rickets and Mo Davies all hoping for a chance at some point

MC: Adnan Ahmed and Tommy Smyth are the starters here ultimately but Ahmed has to miss three games due to a lingering red card suspension from last season. That means that AMC Stewart Baker or utilty man Scott Shulton or another AMC Robert Paratore or Ricketts or even current trialist Kurtis March could end up here. Ben Wignall and Jack Harrison are holdovers who would love to get a try as well

AMC: When we use one it looks like Stewart Baker may be the go-to guy. Moke can play here, as can Niall Smith, Shulton, and March (if he sticks). Suddenly the promising Paratore looks like a prospect rather than a sure first-teamer, while holdovers Luke O'Nien and Wignall would love a chance.

ST: Probably the most glaring weak spot on the first team. John Cofie is the best guy on paper, with Rickard having shown well despite being the 7th ranked by the staff. Niall Smith could win a regular spot if he would score consistently. The mercurial Jonson Clarke-Harris should have been the guy to fix this but he's in "want contract/won't discuss" Hell. Then 17 y/o potential phenom Robbie Locke has looked less than stunning in friendlies, perpetual disappointment Pearce Farren has great scouting but hasn't delivered at any level when given a chance. And wither Billy Lobjoit? He's 20 y/o now with plenty of skill on paper but is currently injured & not match fit for a month or more. The most intriguing possibility for me is actually last year's U18 phenom Jamal Branker (21 goals in group play) but whether he's ready for a step up this far is definitely questionable.