View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #627
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mon Aug 11, 2014

Season ticket numbers are in, 499 this year, exactly the same as last season.

Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out what sort of lineup we'll send out for a quick turnaround match tomorrow against Guiseley. Both Ahmed & Shulton (to my surprise I might add) are suspended for red cards last season. Lobjoit, Thompson, Sawyer and Boateng are all still injured. Kerr and Deen-Conteh may not be available due to international duties. Combined that's over 1/3rd of the projected first team players, not counting the ones who are just physically spent from the opener.

And oh joy, Reece Loudon decides to whine about first team desires to the media. Bitch, you can't tackle my grandmother. I assertively remind him that whether he stays or goes is up to me, not him. He reluctantly decides that's fair enough, he'll wait & see.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 (morning)
Robert Paratore was named to the BSBN Team of the Week first eleven. 9.0? You're damned right he was. Also included was Chris Carruthers, now at Corby.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 (afternoon)
Our Reserves had a final friendly at Bishop Auckland, drawing 2-2. Trialist ST Gaetan Desgages leveled us at 41'. Doghouse ST Jonson Clarke-Harris was MOM and put us in front at 59' but BA would tie it for good at 69'.

Totally mixed bag in terms of performance, with rating from 5.8 (DR Michael Wilson) to 8.1 for Clarke-Harris and 7.6 for trialist Andrew Boast.

What was NOT mixed but rather entirely bad was the, well, let's call it a communication mixup that saw four players I intended to use on the first team tonight (Hassan Janneh, Alex Donald, Brad Ricketts and Niall Smith) instead played in this meaningless match. Not sure what the AssMan was thinking, apparently he didn't check to see what lineup I had posted before leaving.

Compounding that even further, Janneh sustained a facial injury in a collision and will miss 7-10 days for treatment.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 (evening)
Blyth (1-0-0, 5th BSBN) at Guiseley (0-1-0, 10th BSBN)
We're a slight underdog on the road, 13:8 to be exact. We'll start out 4-4-1-1 Standard with a makeshift lineup that I probably re-drew at least ten times before settling on something. This might turn ugly on us unless several people play over their heads.

GK: McDonald
D: McGovern, Williamson, Seery, Jefford
M: Ivanusa, Baker, Smyth, Davies
F: Rickard, Branker
Subs: (Seidu, Wignall, Robson, Loudon, Dovey)

6' - Jefford picks up a yellow card for tripping
13' - Branker has a good try but it's turned aside
19' - Smyth has a go from long range, nothing doing
29' - Guiseley loses a starting DC after a collision with Branker
32' - Seery's header from a corner sails high
37' - A runner goes past Williamson, Seery is late getting over to help and they shoot unmolested (0-1) ... switch to Counter
42' - Rickard creates a little space but shoots harmlessly wide
45' - Rickard shoots weakly wide again

Halftime: I let Worthington sympathize with the team at the break & they all seemed to respond well. We move Rickard to Striker, shift Branker to AML and try to focus on the left flank.

53' - Smyth misses a long try
55' - Smyth crosses, Seery heads it over the bar
57' - Smyth again shoots long & useless
61' - Ivanusa passes left to Branker, who dribbles a bit and shoots ... GOAL ! (1-1) His first ever league goal, my faith is rewarded.
73' - Sub Robson (for Rickard, tired), Sub Loudon (for Ivanusa, tired) ... they've used all their subs so we felt like fresh legs were important no matter whose legs they were
79' - Scramble for a loose ball results in a Guiseley shot from the point, McDonald makes the save and holds on
82' - Smyth with a free kick from 25 yards out ... GOAL ! (2-1) Out of nowhere he finally puts one just barely on target, wild high enough to be out of reach of their keeper .. switch to Contain
83' - Sub Seidu (for Jefford, yellow and tired)
86' - Loudon loses the ball and gives them a fastbreak, they shoot wide
88' - They elude Seidu and shoot ... wide
89' - 3 minutes added time
90:12 - Past Loudon for a long bouncing shot ... McDonald manages to snug it against the post and hold on

Full time: Blyth 2 - Guiseley 1
Williamson (7.7) is MOM, scorers Smyth & Branker were 7.4. No one below a 6.7. It's Ivanusa's 250th league appearance, Robson and Loudon both make their first team debuts for Blyth.

August 12, 2014 (postmatch)
AssMan Worthington wants to say nothing, I let Whitfield take the talk & praise the comeback. We absolutely stole three points here, outshot them 17-6 although our 80% passing was really more important.

That collision Branker had early in the match left him with a gash that will cause him to miss two weeks while recovering. Remarkable that he not only stayed in the match but scored.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-05-2014 at 12:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote