View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #637
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tue Sep 2, 2014 (evening)
Blyth (4-1-0, 2nd BSBN) at Histon (3-1-1, 6th BSBN)
Tweaking the lineup til the very last minute. Histon employs a strange looking 4-1-2-2-1 so they'll either overpower us up front OR we'll be able to hit them on the flanks. We'll use a tired Deen-Conteh now since he'll be away for int'l duty this weekend. We also decide to let Stewart Baker know that he's out of the lineup today for the first time because I want him to rest, he reluctantly agrees that he might need it. Same conversation with Ivanusa goes, predictably I suppose, less well. We'll start out 4-4-2 Counter, hoping to get more men forward this way

GK: Dovey
D: Deen-Conteh, Kerry, Williamson, Groves
M: Shulton, Ahmed, Janneh, Ricketts
F: Rickard, Desgages
Subs: (Seidu, Thompson, Lobjoit, McGovern, McDonald)

2' - Kerr backpasses into his own net (0-1)
16' - Deen-Conteh intercepts a short clearing attempt .. and immediately shoots ... GOAL ! (1-1) ... his first ever goal comes from 25 yards out
45'+ - added time winding down, Shulton tries to cross, it's blocked but Desgages is there, fires ... GOAL ! (2-1) He's scored on his debut, a shot that appeared to redirect off the ankle of a defender

Halftime: I tell 'em to keep it up. Honestly, I don't know how we're doing this but hey it's working ... despite the fact that hardly anyone is playing exceptionally well today.

47' - They head a free kick over the goal, should have scored there
52' - Same play, opposite side, same result
58' - Rickard has a little run, nicely & cleanly tackled away from behind
59' - Wicked open strike by Histon from 30 yards whistles over
64' - Sub Thompson (for Janneh, tiring) ... shift Rickets to MCR ... shift Rickard to AMC in a 4-4-1-1
71' - Sub Lobjoit (for Ricketts, tired) ... shift Rickard to MR, Thompson to MCR
81' - Switch to Defensive
83' - Kerr's header off a corner floats too high
86' - Dovey makes a diving save and swats the ball out for a corner, Histon screams for a penalty
87' - Deen-Conteh leaps to block a header that looked a certain goal
88' - Sub McGovern (for Deen-Conteh, exhausted) ... switch to Contain
89' - 3 minutes added
90'+1 - Groves goes high to clear

Full time: Blyth 2 - Histon 1
Deen-Conteh (7.8) is MOM. Desgages has a 7.2 and a goal on his debut. Groves and Shulton were 7.0. Nobody was terrible

Sept 2, 2014 (postmatch)
Staff thinks we shouldn't say anything, I give them a calm "Well Done". I mean, we kept the streak alive and grabbed three points on the road.

In the press conference we have to address -- fairly neutrally -- the fact that we've now gone 10 league matches without a loss (counting back to last season) and find ourselves atop the BSB North table. Truth be told (which I didn't) I'm happier about HOW we're doing things, lots of resilience shown thus far, than WHAT we're doing. And between injuries, suspensions and international duty, we've done it with a whopping 32 players through just 6 matches.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-06-2014 at 10:17 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote