View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 02:40 PM   #76
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
In the past perhaps that would be true, but the cultural expectations of women these days are not chastity until marriage, but they are just as sexually liberated as men are. There are plenty of women who want no-strings sex and this is not considered a *gasp* thing (see 'Sex & the City' for one). Therefore I don't think the teenage girls today who want the no-strings sex that teenage guys want have deep rooted problems at all!

That is a pretty idealistic view. I think society no longer takes a dim view of capable, well adjusted adult women (in this case meaning around 25 or older) having sex lives despite not being married, I don't think society is anywhere nearly as accepting of girls aged (dear God, I cannot imagine how young) to early 20s expressing themselves sexually. You will still hear them referred to as sluts, etc. The gap between cultural expectations for sexuality in males and females may have narrowed in the past X years, but it is far from closed, and differences still exist in those expectations.