View Single Post
Old 03-07-2022, 03:53 PM   #114
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Except it actually creates far more value for well rounded players. The shift lowers BABIP, which kills the incentive to hit singles or put the ball on the ground. You simply can't score enough runs right now relying on stringing 2-3 hits together. Banning the shift will raise BABIP, which in turn creates more value in singles. The larger bases also encourage base stealing. It's not going to take us back to the 80s Cardinals or anything, but these are changes that should create more options than putting in the air for doubles and homers.

It does do that, but for players that don't want to adapt. Guess what, if I am coaching against a team that is playing a 3-3 with a nickel I am not going to try and throw deep every play. I am gonna pound them on the ground until they load the box. Opposite field singles are the same thing and easier to get when there are only 2 guys on that side of the field, why not just work more on fundamentals?

And you still aren't going to solve one of the things killing the game by banning the shift. Players won't shorten their swings, so it is still a HR/K-fest because of launch, velo, etc.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote