View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Interesting dynasty idea. I don't think 'whoever offers the most money' is necessarily completely accurate though. Golden State wasn't the only team who could offer Durant a max contract. For above-average to good players it's 'who is dumb enough to offer me more than I'm worth'(see: Lakers and others), but for the best players they can also demand the right situation(playing with Curry et al., etc.).

Take this whatever direction you want of course, it's your creation. Just thought I'd throw my .02 in .

No we totally agree. What I'm saying is, text sims don't model it right (or just sports video games in general) because they're designed for simplicity to maximize the $ return for a player. Occasionally, we see them designed a bit different where chemistry and "desire to win" or "desire to start" end up playing a factor, but at the end of the day, dudes end up making really rational decisions based entirely on max contracts to maximize their value/return and locking up their long-term value even if it's not always the most advantageous move.

In a text sim, Durant stays with OKC because it nets him the most money long term, without regard for the fact that taking a shorter deal with GSW means he has a chance to win. I can't envision a text sim that'd have sent him to Boston, even though that deal would've made sense from a "the eastern conference is easier and they have a lot of assets" perspective.

So there's no accounting for culture or intangibles. I know it's hard to model that, but I'd like to attempt it by replicating the GM functions of the various teams and start making "rational" decisions for that persona and see if the game responds. It'll require doing a bit of fudging (thinks like ensuring that no team offers a guy a 5-year deal if he asks for one, etc.)

There's always that free agent that overplays his hand in real life and ends up getting less than he'd gotten if he stayed with his existing team. In text sims, we don't really ever see that. (And console games of course are terrible at modeling this stuff, too.)

I'm just intrigued by whether or not we can force the game to create more realistic market conditions and if it means I have to take over every team to do that, I'm kind of cool with it.

So that's my idea.

Appreciate you chiming in, as always!
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote