View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 05:24 PM   #439
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

October

At nearly the last minute, I changed my mind on what to do with Prakash Mooljee the week before Shanghai. He's in what I consider the toughest spot for end-of-the-year scheduling(players in the 17-32 ranking range). He can't play any of the late-season challengers, but isn't positioned to make a major run in the Masters, including Paris. That makes it hard to load up on tournaments. The change I made was deciding to begin his 'death march' of end-of-the-year tournaments now, by entering the Japan Open(500, Hard). There are five weeks left in the year for him, including this one, and he'll likely play in at least four of them depending on how things go. The schedule will constantly be in flux.

He was seeded 5th here; I was hoping for 4th but I didn't realize that Perry Mockler is now without a manager and he grabbed that spot. It wasn't a kind draw either. He got some revenge in a comeback win over Smitala in the first round, but in the quarterfinals drew Caratti, who he had upset in the Olympics. The Argentine salved some of the sting of recent defeats with a comprehensive 6-3, 6-3 win, Mooljee failing on all 5 break chances. Not an inspiring performance in what should have been a fairly even match if not slightly favorable. Continuation of a trend unfortunately, he appears to be developing the same problem against similarly skilled opponents as Girsh had at the same stage of his career. In any case, only getting three matches in here won't help much in setting himself up for the offseason.

Theodore Bourdet had himself a fine week, knocking off Kinczllers in a classic final in the China Open, and vaulting to a career-high 9th as a result. If he can make a run in Shanghai next week, he could throw a wrench into the calculus for the Tour Finals qualifying ...

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-24-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote