Thread: White Privilege
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 11:36 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So is it a cultural thing? I watched the video and get the concept. But when does a person put on there boots and work for privilege? Is the head start that gross that blacks dont have a chance? Or is it their culture that drags them down. In the video it talks about 2 parent households and father figures? Where are the black males? Is it a justice system that is unbalanced? But I think that is more an economic thing as opposed to a race thing.

There is white privilege and per the other posts, you are fortunate to be born into it. Specific to your example with African Americans, I don't think its "head start", some minorities are doing quite well vs whites. Less two parent households, role models, educational & economic opportunities etc. all contribute, don't think there is one root cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Isnt America based on making your own way and succeeding because of your hard work? Other races have succeeded in this country despite terrible odds (Japanese for example).

It is about making your own way and succeeding because of hard work (and some luck). I'm an immigrant myself and have lived in numerous 3rd world countries.

If you are a minority in the US, you have tons more opportunities than as a minority in most other countries.

If you are a US citizen, you have many more opportunities than citizens of most other countries.

Toss in Europe of 750M, toss in Canada and some other more western countries (e.g. Japan, HK), add back in US and let's just say 1.5B out of 7.5B are the fortunate few. There are 6B that would love to have the same opportunities the US and western countries have. The US is by far the #1 country people of the world want to immigrate to.

So bottom line - yes, definitely white privilege and also definitely US privilege. As an immigrant and having seen how the poorer parts of the world lives, there are so many opportunities to pull oneself up and achieve the American dream. Many American don't see or appreciate this.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-28-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote