View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #162
Izulde
Head Coach

"$12 million the first year, 10% increase for the 3 years after that."

I'm having lunch at my favorite Denver-area restaurant with Frank Weatherspoon, Paulinho Buboltz's agent. We've been going around and around the last few months about an extension and he keeps insisting on the same agreement.

"You want me to pay out that kind of money for a guy who missed almost half the season last year? One who hasn't made the All-Star team or isn't even close to All-NBA level?"

Frank grins at me over our pasta plates. We've both ordered the shrimp alfredo. I hate that grin. It means money's going out the door.

"Paulinho will be 22 years old and have 4 years pro experience under his belt when his rookie deal finishes. He's one of the most popular players in the league and, more importantly Brazil, where his jerseys are outselling Nene's 6 to 1. On top of that, he's one of the league's brightest young stars, with amazing potential. I put him on the market, you don't think at least 15-20 teams are going to come rushing in with max deals? Come on, you know better than that."

I shake my head as I take a bite of noodle and shrimp.

"He's averaging 16 points and 8.5 assists. Good numbers, sure, but worthy of the kind of cash you're talking about, even with the Brazilian market? I'm not so sure about that. You know how Crenshaw is."

Frank answers with another smile, the cheerfully oily kind.

"At least 20 teams. Hell, even the Pacers were willing to trade their hometown hero, the Hoosier of Power, Mr. Mateen Yeaton himself for Paulinho."

What the...

"How did you find out about that?"

"Simple. I weaseled it out of a front office employee. Don't worry, it was somebody from the Pacers organization."

I sit back in my chair, thinking it over. Buboltz does mean a lot to this team, both at the gate and in Brazil, where he's made the Nuggets the #1 team in the country. Interest in NBA basketball is booming down there with Nene and Buboltz both in the league and, much as I hate to admit it, Frank's right about the age vs. ability/potential thing.

"Why does he want so much anyway? Jacobson signed for half that and he's just as valuable to our on-court success as Buboltz is."

Frank shrugs.

"He knows his value and wants to make as much money back as possible so he can make a difference in his homeland. He hasn't decided yet whether to help save the rainforest or the poor."

We both chuckle over that. Odd that greed is the gateway to philanthrophy, but evidently it happens.

And of course, I should've known what was afoot when Paulinho signed Frank as his agent. Weatherspoon speaks Portugeuse, Spanish, French, Greek, Italian and Chinese all fluently and is the Scott Boras of basketball agents, specializing in international players due to his linguistic skills.

"That's admirable, but still, I don't know..."

"Do you want to be known as the GM who ran him out of Denver?"

"I'm the one who brought him into Denver!"

Frank laughs at my outraged answer and after a few moments, I join in.

"Look", he says after we've calmed down, "I have a lot of respect for you and what you've done here in this league. You've got some serious balls and you've come a long way from the time you passed on Durant and took Acie Law and Joakim Noah. That's why I'm even continuing to have these discussions with you. A lot of GMs, I'd say to hell with it and just wait for free agency to hit, because I can squeeze more money out that way."

"Thanks, but I still need to think about it."

"Sure. Also keep in mind that Paulinho really likes it in Denver and he wants to stay, but the money's the most important thing to him for what he wants to do in Brazil."

I nod and we set to our pasta in earnest. Afterwards, we're relaxing quietly over glasses of wine when he speaks again.

"So, tell me... If you were GM of the Knicks again right now, what would you do to rebuild the team?"

I love this game, this game of what-if. Frank does too and it makes our meals together a lot more enjoyable.

"Trade Carmelo and Ronny Smith."

"They'd crucify you!" Frank protests with a laugh.

"I did it before with Carmelo", I point out, "and Smith needs to go. I don't care how much talent he has or how popular he is, he simply hasn't even come close to realizing his potential and he's on a bad team, so he should have inflated scoring numbers."

The agent laughs again, shaking his head.

"I don't doubt for one moment that you'd do it, too. I remember I was floored when I read in the paper that you'd traded Carmelo away. But you know what? Sure Carmelo's been to 3 straight All-Star games in a Knicks uniform and he was an All-NBA player last year, but New York is still losing and losing bigtime. Meanwhile, you've completely remade the Nuggets roster inside of two years and you're winning without Carmelo and without Iverson. That's impressive."

"I had no qualms about trading Carmelo because I don't think he can carry a team and I believe that now even more strongly after seeing him in New York. Remember, with Carmelo and no AI, the Nuggets lost in the first round the year after they won the championship. With AI and no Carmelo, we made the Finals. That says a lot right there. In my opinion, Carmelo's Ben Gordon at double the price. Good player, even a great player, but not a dominant, team-saving player."

Frank agrees and we end dinner on that note. I'm still not sure whether to sign Buboltz to an extension or not. Frank quipped that knowing me, I'd probably do something like trade him to the Knicks for two 1st round draft picks, which would probably be lottery picks and some scrub of an expiring contract.

He's probably right. At the very least, if I decide not to extend Paulinho, I'm not going to let him go for nothing. I'll trade him and get the maximum amount I can out of him.

But enough about off-the-court concerns.

There was one other trade besides ours in February and it's an interesting one.

Dallas Mavericks receive
PF Mike Patterson

Toronto Raptors receive
PF Oleksiy Pecherov
PF Chris Wilcox

What this means for the Mavericks
Patterson, 26 and a fourth year, fell out of favor recently in Toronto after the Raptors initially viewed him as a possible someday starter. He's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none type who bolsters Dallas's bench as a 3-position player.

What this means for the Raptors
Wilcox gives the Raptors a significant upgrade on the second team, a defensive boost with a strong inside shot. He's not an ace defender by any means, but he's still a lot better than any of the other Toronto reserves. Pecherov is there simply to match salaries.

Advantage: Toronto
Patterson feels too much like a generic upgrade, whereas the 30 year old Wilcox shores up a specific need area for Toronto.

Speaking of the Pacers, we face them in March's first game and win 98-79 as Indiana shoots 33% and Ben Gordon dominates with 38 points. Shaun Livingston displays his value with an astounding 15 bench assists.

The Clippers crush us 110-96 on the road. Ben Gordon scores 30 and Dan Jacobson had 16 points and 15 rebounds, but our defense, particularly amongst the reserves, completely evaporated.

We rebound with a very satisfying 97-87 win over the Trailblazers, Ben Gordon again the game's top player with 32 points.

A nice stretch of days off before a doubleheader that's a split. The Spurs beat us 100-93 in San Antonio, Ben Gordon having another 30+ game with 31 points. Paulinho Buboltz gets 15 points and 10 assists , Dan Jacobson 10 points and 12 rebounds. So damned close and yet just short. 31 points again for Ben Gordon in the laugher over Phoenix, Paulinho Buboltz his second with 17 points and 11 assists.

I want to tear my hair out when Caron Butler hits the buzzer-beater to give Charlotte the 102-100 victory over us, at home no less. Another 30 points from Ben Gordon and he -just- missed a triple double with 9 rebounds and 9 assists to go with those points. Emeka Okafor had 21 points and 10 rebounds.

The Clippers get the full brunt of our frustrations in a 114-88 massacre. Ben Gordon is the lead general with 42 points, Emeka Okafor a stalwart with 11 points and 10 rebounds, Joakim Noah the sneaky sapper with 10 sub points.

Close game against the Bucks, but I'll take the 120-115 victory. Ben Gordon shows no signs of slowing down with 31 points. Dan Jacobson collects 16 points and 11 rebounds and Duez Walker plays the role of sniper off the bench with 17 points.

Glory, glory halleujah an actual winning streak. The Wizards fall 113-105 as Ben Gordon scores 33, Emeka Okafor 11s his way to 11 points, 11 boards and Duez Walker devastates Washington's reserves for 18 points. Nice late 1st round find he's turning into, at least for this year.

The win streak and Ben Gordon's 30+ point streak both end in a 102-87 home loss to the Lakers. I want to bash Kobe Bryant's clown-face in. Paulinho Buboltz doubles with 15 points and 13 assists, Mehmet Okur with 16 points and 12 rebounds and Duez Walker adds 16 points off the bench.

We shut down Darrell James and beat the Kings 110-104 as 3 Nuggets scored 20 points or more: Mehmet Okur (25), Ben Gordon (20), and Paulinho Buboltz (20 points, 13 assists). Duez Walker contributed 10 points to lead the second unit.

The Suns have really declined from what they once were. What even a couple years ago would've been a probable loss is now generally regarded as a win and win we do, 107-92. Paulinho Buboltz erupts for 27 points and Mehmet Okur plays strong for 17 points and 12 rebounds.

A shootout breaks out in Salt Lake City. Deron Williams scores 45, but Ben Gordon counters him with 47 points. Dan Jacobson was everywhere on the court with 11 points, 23 rebounds, 7 assists and 5 blocks and Paulinho Buboltz had 18 points and 13 assists as we prevail in a 128-124 thriller.

San Antonio and Portland are never a fun doubleheader. The Spurs edge us 107-102 despite Paulinho Buboltz's great game of 29 points, 10 assists and 6 rebounds, Emeka Okafor's 10 points and 12 rebounds and 10 points a piece from reserves Leroy Wright and Joakim Noah. We rebound with a 92-89 road victory over the Traiblazers to salvage the split and end March positively. Dan Jacobson has 21 points, 17 rebounds, 3 assists, 6 blocks and a steal to again be everywhere and Emeka Okafor and Paulinho Buboltz each doubled with 16 points, 12 rebounds and 15 points, 12 assists respectively.

As topsy-turvy as our month was, the Timberwolves slumped some and so our 46-26 record gives us a five and a half game advantage and we're looking in very good shape to take yet another division title.

I'll comment more on the situation of the rest of the league later. I have a giant headache when I see who our 1st round opponent would be if the playoffs were held today.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote