View Single Post
Old 10-26-2022, 04:11 PM   #59
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

It's hard to take questions like this seriously. Gotta keep an open mind, I guess. What would NASA do if it discovered life on another planet? I suppose get funding for an unmanned probe to explore it more in detail. That would logically be the first contact as technology goes.

Our technological timeline is undoubtedly very different than any other potential civilization's. So the overwhelming odds suggest that if there's other life out there, it is either in the very early stages of development, and thus difficult to find and/or recognize, or vastly superior in technology, and thus likely at a stage where probes can travel a much greater distance with higher reliability.

In other words, they'll find us before we find them.

But... Star Trek's warp drives and wormholes aside, it may not be possible, at any level of technology, to travel great distances in a lifetime.

The thought that any civilization out there with the ability to transport living beings across the universe would actually do so without establishing communication first makes no sense at all. Galaxies are hundreds of thousands of light years in diameter. And it's unlikely that anything can travel faster than the speed of light. Or even close, by an overwhelming factor.

What does that mean for communication, which would be conducted at light speed?

I guess what I'm saying is that whatever sci-fi fantasies we have about aliens, it's not even worth a moment's worry or consideration. Unexplainable UFOs could, in theory, be unmanned probes of some sort, and maybe in 100,000 years or so, we'll hear something from the civilization sending the probe... but why would you send a probe on a 200,000-year journey in the first place?

Odds are there's something out there, I guess. Odds are also fairly decent that the concept of two civilizations at any level of development 100,000 years apart even communicating at the most rudimentary level would violate laws of physics that really can't be changed.

So... a lot of people think about time travel. Well, the problem there is that it requires time to be a "dimension" that can be traveled. Relativity explains that two beings can travel through time at different rates - but that's time "slowing" or "speeding up" because of motion. It's more than a perception, but time itself doesn't change.

To move into a different time would require copies of the universe. Constant copies, each autonomous in its own way. If we thought the physical problem of exceeding light speed was an issue, where does the matter and mechanism for all this constant copying come from?

But even if we could play this game, go back in time, "kill Hitler" or something more imaginative, then we "return" to today only to find out that Hitler was never killed in this timeline. Unless the concept of time also includes the concept of an even larger set of gazillions of universes that encompass every possibility for everything. In other words, everything is simultaneously predetermined, yet with infinite possibilities.

That's not very entertaining, so the concept of time travel must also include the concept of immediate resolution of time conflicts. So, in an instant, everything that happens between an event altered in time, and the present, must be resolved, and even memory of anything ever being different must be replaced.

The implication of that leads us back to the one "true" universe theory, and time travel is thus the ability to alter record-keeping. A far more manageable task that requires no knowledge of physics whatsoever.

Therefore, I suggest that time travel is both possible and heavily practiced by governments throughout the world, throughout history.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote