View Single Post
Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 AM   #117
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 16
Baltimore 8-6 @ Atlanta 7-7
If Nixon is going to run for 2000 yards this year he is going to need to average 160 yards for the final two games of the year. That is not unheard of, but it will not be easy. But if there is a team that we should be able to run against, it is the Ravens. No other team in the league gives up more yards per carry than does Baltimore. Baltimore does not pick up many yards either running the ball or passing the ball. They are also in the bottom half in passing. And yet if the season were to end today they would be in the playoffs. Why have they been winning? Turnovers. They have been on the receiving end of 30 turnovers while only giving up 5 this year. That has been what has kept them in games and it is something that we need to concern ourselves with. Leland has been having trouble holding the ball lately, and our QB has a knack for throwing the ball to the wrong team.

We were facing a must win situation, and Leland Nixon came through in the pinch. 41 carries for 180 yards and 2 TD helped us secure a 24-13 victory. And facing the team that forces more fumbles than any other, Nixon made sure that he kept a firm grip on the ball. To top it all off, our defense recovered two fumbles, against the team that had yet to fumble the ball this year.

Now for the bad news. Our starting RG has a torn lateral knee ligament, and is done for the season. Sammy Delgado has been an All-Pro each of the last 5 seasons, and losing him is devastating to our hopes. In addition, we lose our starting TE for the rest of the year as well.

Week 17
Jonesboro Saints 12-3 @ Atlanta 8-7
We come into the final week of the regular season, and things do not look good for us. Leland needs 140 yards to reach 2000. Again, this will not be easy, but it is doable. It would take a very poor performance to have him drop below 4 yards per carry. And for his final goal of 15 TDs, well he would need 3. It is not unheard of, and in fact he did it twice last season, but I wouldn't count on it. As for my team goal, 9 wins and a wild card birth, it is possible, but I will need a lot of help. Both Chicago and Seattle would need to lose (though they are both playing tough opponents), and then I think that I have the tiebreaker, based on Conference record. But I would have to beat the team with the best record in the NFL, the Jonesboro Saints.

This was a spectacular game. Leland ran very well picking up 126 yards and a TD on 31 carries. When we weren't running, our QB was throwing perfect strikes. Meanwhile the Saints' offence was clicking on all cylinders as well. Throughout the game we continued to switch who had the lead. Early in the fourth quarter the Saints kicked a field goal to tie the game. We answered back with a very long drive that ended in a field goal of our own to take the lead. The Saints then could not get their 54 yard field goal attempt to pass through the uprights, and we took the victory. Leland was named MVP, it was not 160 yards or 3 TDs, but the win was more important. Now if only Chicago and Seattle can lose.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote