View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 01:09 AM   #120
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Week 1
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
We start off the season with our arch rivals coming into town. Had we beaten them late last year we would have been the in the playoffs. Now it is time for us to exact our revenge.

It was a rather poor start to the season for us. After jumping out to a 13-0 lead, our defense collapsed and gave up 3 unanswered TDs, two in the final 10 minutes. Leland started of the year on a down note, only averaging 3.6 yards per carry, picking up 95 yards and no TDs. One very disheartening stat: we forced 7 fumbles, but we were unable to recover any of them. You would think that we could get one of those, it might have made all the difference, but we start out the year with a 21-13 loss. Injuries mount a we are faced with losing a Safety, and TE for the year. We also have a few other minor injuries. If the season continues in this vain, we will be in trouble.

Week 2
Atlanta 0-1 @ Houston 1-0
Houston is quite healthy, with only one starter out for the game. They look to be susceptible against the run, so I am hopeful that Nixon will bounce back for his poor game last week. By all accounts our defense should be able to shut them down, as they do not look to have a strong offence.

When I check the box scores, the first thing that I look at is the total rushing yards. When I saw that we had 189 rushing yards I was thinking that Nixon must have come through for us. I was wrong. In spite of having 38 carries, Nixon had just 91 yards rushing. That is an average of just 2.3 yards per carry. Leland did score our only TD of the day, so it was not a total wasted day for him. Our two fullbacks came through where Nixon did not and they picked up the big yards that we needed to win the game. In addition our defense played stellar. We gave up just 152 yards, and only 5 first downs all game long. The only reason why the Texans got on the scoreboard at all was because they were able to return a kickoff. This was just a great day for our defense.

On the injury front, things look bleak. Mo Newton, our all pro LT is tore up his ACL. He will need surgery and is out for the season, and he may be done for his career.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote