View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #150
Radii
Head Coach

February 27, 2010

NC A&T (15-12, 11-5 MEAC) at Howard(16-15, 12-4 MEAC)

Huge late season game here. They have two guys that hurt us last time we played. SG Torrance Timothy is rated 64 OVR and is a average shooter all around. Unfortunately against our defense, average is enough. He scored 21 on us. The big threat though is SF Curtis White. He went 5-10 from 3 and 13-20 from the field and scored 31 on us.

They have talented, but small big men. We got them in foul trouble last time we played but it wasn't enough.
Half
Time
NC A&T
HOW
Notes
15:30
Ugh, not a very good start. Ewing has had two shots blocked and we've thrown the ball away twice. They've hit 2 3's and are running their offense well against us. I have a 3 from Ewing and a couple tough inside looks.
14:40
Whew, that was nice. We find Coleman inside for a bucket. They miss a shot and we get out on the break. Alston makes a bucket and is fouled. He misses his free throw, but Johnson gets the board and scores. A quick 6 points to keep this from becoming a hole we have to dig out of like last time.
14:00
And Coleman scores inside again and they burn a time out. 8-0 run in 1:30!
13:20
UGH. Hayes scores in traffic and comes down with an injury. Cruz is in, no word on the injury yet. We need him inside.
11:15
They hit 4 straight jumpers, including 2 3's to go on a quick 10-2 run. Our backups are in.
6:30
After howard pushes the lead back out to 8 points, 31-23, our defense tightens up and we have success pounding it inside. Cruz and Shepherd bring us back to even. We just need to get a lead on these guys and stop falling behind all the time. Starters are back in, including Hayes. We'll see how effective Hayes is.
5:15
When you're hot, you're hot. We're on a 15-0 run now. On our last possession Ewing pump faked, got his man up in the airand drove. I thought he had an open lane but another defender closed on him. I had already started to shoot and just hoped to draw a foul. Ewing instead does an incredibly acrobatic up and under move and the ball rolls around the rim and in. Like I said, when you're hot, you're hot. That kind of thing, espicially from Ewing, doesn't normally fall.

HALF
UGH. They go on an absolute tear to finish off the half. 4 3's in the final 5 minutes, plus a number of fast break baskets as we hit another little turnover spree.

They are 9-19 from 3 and 21-41 from the field, just killing us. They have 10 steals already and only 2 turnovers themselves. SG Timothy is 5-7 from 3 and has 21 points.

On our end Coleman has 12 points and Ewing has 10. We haven't succeeded on the break much at all. Also I think Hayes injury is having an effect. I'm going to pull him the rest of the game. I can't visibly tell that he's not elevating fully but he's just laying shots into the front of the rim that are usually very easy baskets for him.
15:45
They start the half with a 3, and take a 59-49 lead. We come roaring back with Alston, Coleman and Cruz all getting big baskets while they go cold temporarily.
12:00
Backups are in. We've both cooled and slowed down a bit.
9:30
Backups are slowing things down a bit and doing ok so far. A mid-range jumper from Shiloh and a close look from Webster(3rd string center) have us up 5. Howard burns its next to last timeout.
5:50
We held a 72-68 lead for a number of possessions before White sunk a 3 for Howard,cutting our lead to 1. It is their ball right now, starters are coming back in.
3:15
We lead 78-76 after yet another 3 by Howard and they hit another short cold spell. We get Coleman going inside for 6 straight points, he is having a hell of a gamefor us and has helped push the lead up to 8.
2:00
We're in clock burning mode now. They made a 3, we used up some clock and got Cruz a great look, but he missed it. They come down and get an open jumper but miss, and we've got it back.
1:15
We get an open 15 foot jumper for Johnson but miss. They get out in transition and hit a layup fairly quickly.
0:49
Ewing with a pump fake, goes by his man and dumps it in to Cruz, who gets fouled on his shot. Cruz makes both free throws.
0:28
They have to work some clock but end up getting a 3. Knowing they'regoing to foul we get the ball to Ewing, our 92 rated FT shooter. He misses the front end.... Howard ball on the rebound.
0:06.5
We play man to man defense, willing to risk giving up a 2 to make sure there are no open 3 point shots. And they don't get anopen 3, but Timothy makes a contested 3 anyway. We rush the ball up to half court and call a time out.
0:02.5
I inbound to Alston, make a quick move towards the basket, feed Cruz(I'd rather it be Coleman but he was the inbound man at half court) Cruz goes hardto the basket and is fouled by SG Riley. The first free throw is GOOD! Tie game. Second one... no good. They launch a shot from half court that misses. OVERTIME.
OT
5:00
Starters are totally gassed. I start the backups in OT and tell them to stall til the 3 minute mark.
OT
3:30
They get a putback from Timothy who is having the game of a lifetime(37 points). I get a midrange jumper from Colter. A timeout is called and I go ahead and get my starters in. Hayes is in at center.
OT
2:30
After a couple back and fort possessions, we get a 3 point play from Alston to take the lead. They get an open 3 from Timothy to go right back up by 2.
OT
2:00
Ewing pump fakes, gets his man in the air and drives, drawing a foul on their center. Both free throws are good and itstied.
OT
1:30
After another immediate open 3 from Timothy on their end, we get Ewing a good look on our end and trail by 1.
OT
0:48
Alston gets a layup after they go 1-2 from the line following a foul. We force a miss on their end and are out in transition trying to take the lead. Johnson misses what seemed to be an easy layin going hard to the basket... they come down and make a jumper on their end and lead by 2. Our ball.
OT
0:32
Ewing gets a wide open 3 running off a great screen but misses short. Hayes is there for the rebound and the putback. Tie game, their ball.
OT
0:19
DONT FOUL. Hayes with a STUPID reach in to send them to the line for a 1-and-1. Oh, they miss the front end and we rebound! Good foul buddy.
OT
0:00
We get the ball to Coleman for a little 6 footer as time expires. No good. DOUBLE OT
2OT
1:50
We've made 4 field goals and had Robert Johnson go 1-2 from the line. They've had a 3 pointer, a 3 point play, a putback and a guy go 1-2 from the line. It ends up even, their ball,still tied.
2OT
1:30
Ugh, they go up 2 after their SG gets an offensive board and putback. Hayes and Coleman, you two cannot let that happen!!
2OT
0:57
Alston draws a foul but can only make 1 free throw. Their ball up 1.
2OT
0:35
We commit a dumb reach in,sending them to the line for 2(we're both in the double bonus by now). They make one,miss one, and Alston is out on the run. He's fouled goingto the hoop, ALMOST got a 3 point play opportunity, but does make both his free throws. Tied up, their ball.
20T
0:00
They run the shot clock down, Timothy takes a 3 pointer with about 8 seconds left in the game. Its no good and we're off on the run. Alston again drives by his man and gets fouled. That's 3 straight possessions where Riley fouls Alston in transition. He makes the first freethrow, misses the second, but a ¾ court shot is no good. WINNER

NC A&T 114
Howard 113

Double Overtime

WHEW. I'm exhausted after that game. After Ewing missed the front end of a 1-and-1 with the chance to put the game away in regulation, I thought we were toast. They made 18 3 pointers on the game, but we shot 55% from the floor on the game and shot 14 more free throws than them(31 vs 17).

They were led by two shooters:

Timothy: 45 points – 10/21 from 3, 17-33 from the field.
Riley: 37 points – 6/15 from 3, 15-27 from the field.

I hadn't even mentioned Riley pregame. He was injured in our first contest, White comes in off the bench for him, so white was a non-factor while Riley tore us up today.

Alston: 26 points/9 assists
Ewing: 20 points/4 assists
Johnson: 11 points/10 boards
Coleman: 20 points/10 boards
Hayes: 6 points/9 boards

Cruz: 14 points/12 boards

Not only was that a really, really exciting game for us, it guarantees that we will finish the year with a winning record, no matter what happens in the MEAC tournament.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote