View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 AM   #226
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Clemson fans seem to be worried about this for some reason, but GT winning this weekend would be among the more surprising results in the last 10 years to me. There is nothing about this team that gives me confidence that they can even keep it close. At this point I just hope they don't quit.

Clemson's offense has sputtered all year so far and struggled to find heir rhythm. Their young DBs have struggled with discipline and GT is not the opponent to struggle with discipline against. The desire is to keep the starting 4DL on the sidelines as much as possible to protect their ankles and knees. That presents opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

Stupid question that I'll ask those of you that really know how football teams work - how much does GT's offense affect its defense in terms of practice and preparation? I assume they use some sort of scout team to try to simulate the upcoming opponent's offense during the week before the game, but in the spring and preseason camp, does the fact that Tech runs this offense handicap the defense in any way?

No.
I've actually been to a Tech practice. This summer in fact. (Coach Sewak was recruiting my son a little and he had us at practice, but my boy's a farm kid and Atlanta scared him senseless.)

Good against good almost never happens. They will do a few session in summer camp, but usually in an Oklahoma drill or pass skelly.

In season its always, 1st team D against 3rd(ish) team O and that O tries to simulate the opponents offense and vice versa.

Interstingly enough, after Coach Steele was abused so regularly by CPJ's option attack. For the last 6 years Swinney has made sure to have at least HS option QB to play DB (or WR) for Clemson. During tech weeks this player runs the Scout O to attempt give the D a realistic full speed look. Also DC Brent Venables will suit up and play QB. He jokingly calls himself Jimmy Greenbeans and encourages his D to tackle him

Where you could make an argument that it does hurt, and Id say this is a stretch, but if you are trying to simulate an air raid or Syracuse spread approach and you dont have a great QB or WR group, and you've recruited option players maybe they cant give as good of a look?

Ill say it again, the offense is about 10 or 11 spots down the list of whats holding GT back. $$$ and the willingness to spend it is whats hurting them.

Georgia State has nicer player facilities than GT. Mercer's are on par and maybe better. Valdosta State locker room is unquestionably better, Id give GT the slight edge in weight room, but only slight. Those things are what hurts Tech.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 09-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote