View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Racing Point F1 - TEAM BACKGROUND

The origins of Racing Point date back to October 2007, when a consortium led by Indian businessman Vijay Mallya joined forces with Dutchman Michiel Mol to buy the Spyker F1 team for £88 million. The team was renamed as the Force India Formula One team for the 2008 season.

After finishing last in the constructors’ race in 2008, the team showed steady improvement in future years, with the 2014 addition of Mexican driver Sergio Perez being a key component. Perez would earn five of the six podium finishes in team history and Force India would finish a lofty fourth in the F1 constructors’ standings in both 2016 and 2017.

However, major financial issues continued to plague the team and chairman Vijay Mallya faced extradition by the Indian government to face charges of financial crimes. In July 2018, Force India was put into administration by the High Court in London and ultimately, another consortium, this time led by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, purchased the team’s assets.

2019 will be the first full year under the newly renamed Racing Point F1 Team and I will be taking over as the team principal.

Racing Point is headquartered in the United Kingdom and here are some key numbers worth looking at as we begin our quest to move up in this racing world:

Fan Base: 9.8 million
Marketability: 87%
Total Staff: 280

We have a chairman (Lawrence Stroll), a team principal (that's me!), three drivers, a lead designer, two chief race mechanics, sixty other garage mechanics, 14 on our pit crew, a scout and an assistant. The rest of the staff must be in the administration and design departments.

A quick overview of our rankings within Formula One reinforces the challenge ahead.

Car: 8th (out of 10 teams)
Drivers: 9th
Headquarters: 9th
Staff: 8th
Sponsors: 5th
Pit Crew: 3rd

As for me, I'm a 45 year old ex-driver from Canada going into management for the first time and Racing Point fans are optimistic but slightly skeptical of my hiring. That said, the team's drivers love that I've come on board and that brings a +20 morale boost to the three drivers on staff.

Last edited by NoSkillz : 03-13-2019 at 10:05 PM.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote