Thread: 2011 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #426
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He lost @10 mph on his fastball and Hernandez called for the trainer because he felt something was wrong. When examined the doctor found significant inflammation and the Reds are going to rest him for a couple of days.

Guess the Reds should cut him.

Nobody is saying that, but he has to actually be overworked before you can blame his problems on being overworked. He's pitched 5 and 1/3 innings in 12 Reds games this year. (With 6 appearances)

It's not like Dusty is throwing him 3 IP and making him come back on back to back nights and throw 5 more innings.

It's easy to bash Dusty for overuse. He's historically been horrible at it and has ruined pitchers because of his strategy. But he's simply not managing pitchers incorrectly this year.

In 12 games, Reds starters have thrown over 100 pitches exactly ZERO times. the bullpen? 4 guys have 6 appearances out of the pen. 2 others have come in 5 times. Not a single reliever has thrown over 6 2/3 innings.

Dusty is not shredding any of his pitchers right now, no matter how much you want to talk about how he's done it in the past.

I'm not saying Chapman should be cut, I'm not saying Chapman is a sissy. But I am saying that his arm trouble has zero to do with Dusty's managing as of right now.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote