Thread: 2011 MLB Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #436
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm not sure why they are using Chapman in a relief role this year. I would assume that he would have more value as a starting pitcher. If this means sending him down to AAA for a month until Dusty injures one of the other starters, so be it. Now they are likely to create a Joba-esque situation whereby a guy is not your closer but is unable to swing back to starting. If the eventual goal is to trade Cordero, I suppose that they could do that. I'd assume the guy has a major elbow problem in the near future because he throws so hard and I don't really think that striving for proper pitching form is high on the to do list for Cuban coaches.

They can't trade Cordero...his contract is awful.

When you take a guy who has been a starter, switch him to a reliever for two or more full seasons, and then try and switch him back I think you're going to find more often than not, the guy never makes it back to a starting role. It think it'll be the same for Chapman. I don't think he'll ever be a starter. Which could be okay if he's in the closer role because he will still add a lot of value there as well.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote