View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #157
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Shiloh, Part III

They've still got the edge in guns, but the numbers say in manpower, with Buell's full force up with us now, we outnumber them 2:1.

'Desperately' is the operative word.

I'm thinking we let the good General take the lead here, inasmuch as I'd like to retain some semblance of an Army to reinforce when this is over.

** April 7, 1862, 6:00 AM. We have four hours to basically retake everything we lost yesterday. I've got to figure out what we have left, and form something resembling an assault plan.

I think 'rush at them till they beg for mercy' is a good one. Any opportunity for our cavalry to seize guns or supplies will also be taken. The first order of business was to get Buell's supply wagon in position to start replenishing those who were involved yesterday. Wouldn't last long, but it'd be nice to have something to start with. Our positions at the fortifications will remain for now, while the three fresh divisions begin the forward push. Once that happens the rest will support them.

** 6:33 AM. The fresh divisions have pushed forward into something vaguely resembling a battle line, and for the most part the rebels, largely worn out and low on supplies themselves, are not having a fun time of it against them. He has the center himself, with Stewart on his left(east) and Heintzelman taking the right(west) flank.

** 6:51 AM -- Grant's new supply wagon is empty. LOL. That didn't last long. We've got what we've got now.

** 7:04 AM -- In the west, Devin's shock cavalry made an end to one large artillery unit before rebel horsemen counterattacked. At this point he sustained heavy losses, but the Confederate position on that wing was compromised. It wasn't long until the whole line was, as we steadily pushed them back to the south.

** 7:46 AM -- Our progress not only continues, but seems to be accelerating. Pond's 600+ men surrender as the rebel center collapses. We've got a long way to go though, and a little over two hours to get there ...

** 8:10 AM -- The rebels are now in full retreat, offering only momentary resistance and only that on occasion. One division on each side presses down the flank towards our objectives, and also in an effort to possibly surround more of the enemy.

** 8:53 AM -- II Corps's 2nd Division has captured the church. This is Wharton's skirmishers with Carruth coming up behind, a couple more brigades also en route.

** 9:16 AM -- Larkin Bell Field, on the east flank, is ours. Most of the army cannot even see the enemy now.

** 9:37 AM -- A sea of bluecoats in all directions. All resistance has been crushed.

** 9:45 AM -- Spain Field has been secured, our final goal for the moment at least. 15 whole minutes to spare. It is finally over.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote