View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 12:50 AM   #115
Izulde
Head Coach

2004 Octopus League Award Winners

Pitcher of the Year:SP Allen Davidson (Miami Vices)

Consistency was the key all season long for Miami Vices starter Allen Davison and allowed him to claim the final victory in the first year of the great Davidson-Perez debate. The Kentucky native was announced today as the first Octopus League Pitcher of the Year. Starting 9 games, Davidson pitched 60 innings to rack up a 6-1 record with a 2.40 ERA and net 71 K's against 22 BB. Allen completed the season with the following Top 5 League Rankings: 3rd in ERA, T-1st in Wins, and 2nd in K's.

Davidson, when informed of his selection, broke out into a broad smile and nodded his head sharply, "I said from the very beginning that I was going to make the teams who passed over me in the first round pay, and I did it! The East Division title is ours and I've got the Pitcher of the Year award. I only wish we could play the River Series so I could kick Perez's tail out there too and get the championship."

Batter of the Year: CF Curtis "CJ" Jones (Miami Vices)

The very first pick in the Octopus League dispersal draft proved to live up to his billing and hype, as CF Curtis "CJ" Jones made it a Miami sweep of the two biggest awards when he picked up the Batter of the Year award. Batting .344, he hit 11 homeruns and drove in 21 RBIs. With a ratio of 19 BB to 13 Ks, Jones finished with a .455 OBP. His Top 5 League Leaderboard rankings include: 1st in HR (He was the only one to break double digits), 5th in RBIs, 3rd in OBP, 1st in SLG, and 2nd in OPS. C.J. also was 6th in batting average.

Curtis had this to say about his win: "It's a sweet victory to have and I'm really happy for both myself and Allen. I'm happy for the fans of Miami that we as a team won the East Division. When the River Series is on next year, I guarantee you we'll be back there and we'll have the Octopus League title where it belongs... here in Miami!"

Rookie of the Year: SP Jose Leyba (San Diego Bishops)

In a year that was significant for the contributions provided by those who would still be considered prospects by MLB standards, starting pitcher Jose Leyba of the San Diego Bishops was clear and away the best of the group. The number two man of the deadly 1-2 rotation punch along with Heriberto Perez, Leyba went 2-1 in 8 starts, striking out 45 and walking 30 while posting a sizzling 1.89 ERA.

Jose remarked, "I feel so undeserving of this award. There's a lot of guys out there who really deserved consideration and who maybe should have gotten it like (3B David) Bailey in Miami. Thank you to all the fans out there who helped make this season a dream come true and to my teammates for coming together so we could win the Octopus League championship. I'd also like to thank Father George Ayorinde. He's the best manager a guy could ever have, and I also want to thank God for giving me the talent to succeed."

Diamond Glove Award Winners:
P: Mario Troyer (Minneapolis Lumberjacks)
C: Eugene Toombs (Miami Vices)
1B: Lester Pawlak (New Orleans Mardi Gras)
2B: Daniel Baptista (Minneapolis Lumberjacks)
SS: Oscar Medina (New Orleans Mardi Gras)
3B: Evelio Olivares (Racine Secrets)
LF: Miguel Salinas (Racine Secrets)
CF: Darrick "Superman" Carson (Seattle Coffeemen)
RF: Bennie Taylor (Racine Secrets)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote