View Single Post
Old 04-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #118
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm numb.

Why the **** does this always happen? Why?!

Why is it that every damn time something good actually starts happening in my life and it looks as though I actually have a purpose in life, something comes along to take it away?!

My vision is lost, drowned in the unceasing waterfalls of my tears. Beneath me, the printed page is dampened, softened and weakened by the drops that crash onto its thin surface.

This can't be real. It can't.

But it is.

The headline leers up at me, proud and savage in the horror it reports, unaffected by the eye rain falling on it.

Octopus League Patriarch Nigel Benvuneto Found Dead In His Home

The man who dazzled the media with his soundbites and won the affection of small-league baseball fans around the country died last night.

Nigel Benvuneto, 73, was found dead in his bed at around seven p.m. by a maid who came to wake him from his usual evening nap. An autopsy report early this morning revealed that he died in his sleep of natural causes.

Benvuneto started the Octopus League just this last year and the association did very well in its first season, though it was not without controversy, mostly centred around the Memphis Rebels team and the commissioner's repeated defense of their existence.

With the former shipping tycoon's death, the future of the league is said to be in very serious doubt. His sons and daughters have expressed no interest in continuing the Octopus League and it is believed that the teams will not be able to survive financially without the revenue sharing agreement established at the league's startup.

***End Excerpt***

There's more there, some quotes and biographical information that I don't want to read right now, because if I read it, then it just becomes true again.

Damn it, I don't want it to be true!

I want to tear the newspaper up, make it so that it isn't real. It's not happening, it's not!!

...But it is.

A great man and a great league have both died, and with them, my baseball ambitions.

Rest In Peace, Nigel and the Octopus League.

I hardly knew ye... and yet, I loved ye.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote