View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 02:16 AM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

Changeover In Charlotte

Andrew Wiggins takes over as the Hornets' new star player

After weeks of negotiations, new Charlotte Hornets GM Izulde Jestor finally pulled off the move he most eagerly sought to make. Out went Terry Rozier's sub-.400 shooting and toxic contract to the Minnesota Timberwolves. The primary return? Andrew Wiggins - the once heralded #1 overall pick whose career has thus far fallen short of his projected superstardom. But the price for the 24 year old was steep - raw, but high ceiling rookie P.J. Washington, though the Hornets did also snap up Minnesota's 2nd round picks the next three seasons in the deal.

If Washington, selected 12th overall and blessed with preternatural foul-drawing ability from Day 1, pans out, this move may well blow up in Jestor's face. If he doesn't, then it might well just rack up as a significant win, given how odious Rozier's 3 year, $56.7 million deal is. And unlike in Charlotte, where he projected as a starter, the inefficient combo guard will play just 20 minutes off the bench at the 2 spot. Washington, in contrast, zooms straight to starter status at PF next to burgeoning star Karl-Anthony Towns.

Meanwhile, Wiggins gets out from under KAT's shadow and is firmly planted as the Hornets' #1 scoring option, operating out of the 3. If he's ever going to prove he can be The Man, now's the time.

As a result of the trade, Jestor executed his second pickup, plucking 30 year old Kenneth "The Manimal" Faried on a one year minsal to replace Washington at PF. Though Faried isn't as fizzy as he was in his Denver heyday, he still brings sorely needed offensive rebounding punch, a high percentage field goal conversion rate, and veteran savvy. He and Cody Zeller will patrol the paint, freeing Wiggins to operate from the perimeter.

But the newly minted free office wasn't done yet. Veteran hybrid forward Marvin Williams and versatile G/F Miles Bridges next to go - jettisoned along with the Hornets' second round picks the next three years to the Denver Nuggets for the sure-handed, stellar intangibles 24 year old point guard Monte Morris and 25 year old defensive stalwart wing Gary Harris. Morris is an immediate upgrade on all levels over any of the Hornets' previous post-Kemba Walker options and Harris pairs with Nicolas Batum to give the team two skilled, disciplined defenders at SG, while also opening up minutes for front office favorite Caleb Martin as a rotational SF.

From Denver's perspective, the value is all about the money - $15 million in expiring money from Williams' deal, two years left of Bridges' rookie contract, and the cheap bodies three second round picks bring. Williams will be part of the PF rotation, whereas Bridges operates as a 6th man, his deft ball skills landing him time at both PG and SF.

I can't believe I actually suckered someone into taking Rozier. Ha! Washington is a new-age 4 - happy with the 3 ball. Not my kinda dude at all, and his rebounding is blah. I'd still like to find a true boarding horse at the 4 or 5. Morris is ideally a backup rather than a starter, too, but in Wiggins and Harris, I've got my wing spots set for a good number of years if I can keep both around. Overall we're much a smarter, much stronger team defensively now. Our shooting should be significantly improved, too.

Why does all this matter? Well, Mike has lost his damn mind and expects a deep playoff run. He also demanded a 3* or better player, and Wiggins fits that bill. I still don't trust our coaching staff, but it's going to cost too much money to fire them right now.

So we'll see how this season goes.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote