View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #105
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

2021 OFFSEASON BEGIN
Bill Callahan gets the axe as Head Coach in favor of....a former Raider! Tony Pashos served as the Assistant Coach for Chicago from 2016-2020 and now appears ready to take on his first Head Coaching gig.

Two cap casualties in FA1:1--C Stefen Wisniewski (49/49, yr 11) and K Dustin Hopkins are released.

QB James has the "Watch Closely" tag on him. He is in the final year of his contract. I can really use some cap space. My choices are:
  • A: Extend his contract with a high-bonus, low-first-year offer, saving me over $6M this year--enough to perhaps fill a hole or two in FA. The risk here is that if he can't perform like his old self, we'll take a huge cap hit.
  • B: Trade him and go with Santiago VanderLey, who may be "good enough." The main issue I have with that move is that VanderLey is also in the final year of his deal, and because he started last season, he wants a fairlybig contract. Extending VanderLey and trading James would give a net cap savings of around $8.5M this year and a bit less than that in future seasons.
  • C: There are four veteran QBs in free agency rated in the 41-48 range, all wanting modest money (around $3M this year). I could cut bait on both expensive QB options and go "game manager" all the way.
In the end, I decide that I don't like the idea of having to pay VanderLey that much when last season could have been just good dice rolls. I decide against Option C because I don't think I have enough defensive talent to make a "game manager" work, and it doesn't appear that there will be enough in FA to build it quickly. So with some trepidation, I extend Erick James's contract at the beginning of FA1 so I can pursue some guys.