View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #115
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Ha! I finally figured out why running isn't working!

It's not blocking, that's turning out to be pretty great. It's not the RB (usually) because they are pretty good at finding running lanes and following blocks.

It's because I drew up most of my running plays with the 11 man NFL-style game in mind, instead of the 8 man game. You can't power run the same way with 8 players on your side, no matter how many blockers you pull in to help. There's just too much free space for defenders to get around the blocks.

What I'm finding is that any time I go power, and bring the WRs tight to block, the defense has too much of an advantage. The defense only needs one guy to get through and blow up the play, and WRs generally don't make great blockers. However, if I spread the field and then run, the offense has a much easier time. Spread 2 WRs out and take the CBs with them, and now you have a chance with the inside running game. In fact, a 2 RB set with 3 OL and 2 WR split wide can do some real damage. Have the stronger RB lead block up the middle to pick off the LB and you can get some sweet runs!

That's a relief.

Back to zone defense now!