View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #379
Radii
Head Coach

I've looked over my roster and began recruiting but I'll go into detail on that tomorrow, I've simmed up to my first game at Providence.

But, just to get a feel for how we should rate against our conference competition:

MAC Preseason Predictions

Entirely based on ratings:

1. Ohio - 83 OVR
2. Ball State - 81 OVR
3. Miami OH - 80 OVR
4. Akron - 78 OVR
5. Buffalo - 77 OVR
6. Toledo - 77 OVR
7. Kent State - 77 OVR
8. Western Michigan - 76 OVR
9. Eastern Michigan - 76 OVR
10. Northern Illinois - 76 OVR
11. Bowling Green - 75 OVR
12. Central Michigan - 75 OVR

Well, there is some talent in the league this year. There are no terrible teams near the bottom, and 3 teams rated over 80. Miami OH had a couple outstanding recruiting classes and it looks like that's starting to really pay off for them. Ball State looks to have 5 starters back from last year including one of the higher rated guys in the league.

We improved over last year, and we lucked out greatly to get a highly rated 4* recruit. We're aiming for more in recruiting this year, but right now we have to assume that this is the year we MUST shine in the MAC. We're only losing two guys, but its Cooper and House, our two big guns on offense. There will be a ratings dropoff next year, and there will absolutely be a performance dropoff unless i bring in two 4* studs or something that are just ready to go.

MAC Preseason Awards

Best Overall Player: Gary Edelin - SG - Ball State - 81 OVR (JR)
Best Freshman: Lloyd Bright - PF - Ohio - 76 OVR
Best Shooter: Gary Edelin - SG - Ball State - 81 OVR (JR)
Best Playmaker: Amir Bridges - PG - Miami OH - 73 OVR (SR)
Best Pro Prospect: Arzelle Cooper - SG - Ohio - 81 OVR (SR)
Best Defender: JR Robertson - PF - W. michigan - 73 OVR (SR)

Cooper is currently listed as "undrafted". I wonder if I can get him up to 83 OVR and with a great season could get him up in the 2nd round. I'm not going to change how I play to try to do it... but I do wonder

Coaching Goals

Lastly, since I should have been in bed 2-3 hours ago, goals that aren't completely impossible for me to obtain should things go right this year that would allow me to improve as a coach:

Sign the Mr Basketball for your state - he's a 3* SF, not terribly interested in us yet, but we'll make a push for him.

Assemble a top 20 recruiting class - Highly unlikely, but we are going to be aggressive this year, offering 2 4* guys early on, because why not? We've got great depth and just 2 scholarships to offer. There's no 3* guy out there that looks like someone we *have* to get.

Have a player chosen in the pro draft - Again, highly unlikely, but if Cooper could really turn it on this year...

Coach a team into the top 25 - Probably our most realistic goal, depending on how we are able to do against our tougher schedule this year.

Coach a team to the sweet 16 - Another long shot, but we'll have a deep, athletic team. If we can get there, we can get there as a 12 seed and have a shot.

Be chosen conference coach of the year - I would have won this last ear had I not choked in the MAC tourney. I assume 20 wins and a conference championship would win this award for me.

My next win goal is 200, I have 118 right now. If I can keep up a good level of talent then we reach this goal in 4 years. Based on where I have Ohio right now, I feel that 20 wins/season on average should be realistic.

That's all for tonight, I'm extremely disappointed about losing out in the MAC Semifinals last season, but extremely excited about our prospects this year. With a tougher schedule and 3 teams with OVR ratings in the 80s, it seems a lot more likely that we could contend for an NCAA Tournament at-large bid this year.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote